Google LLC was founded by Mr. Sergey Brin and Mr. Larry Page in 1998 and was a privately held company. Later on 19 August 2004, an initial public offering (IPO) was held in which the first sale of stock was issued by a company to the public and registered on the stock market. The company went public at US$ 85 per share and offered nearly 19,606,052 shares. These shares were mainly sold through the format of an online auction by using a system developed by Morgan Stanley & Credit Suisse. Sale of US$ 1.67 Billion offered Google LLC a capitalization of over US$ 23 Billion, which increased to US$ 397 Billion by January 2014.
This IPO event proved to be beneficial to many Google Employees as a majority of shares of approximately 271 Million were under the control of the company, and several employees of Google LLC became paper millionaires, instantly. Moreover – Yahoo! – a web service provider and a competitor of Google LLC benefitted as it owned Google LLC company’s 8.4 Mn shares prior to the IPO event held.
In 2015, American multinational company Alphabet, Inc. was formed as the parent company of Google LLC, and other companies which were previously owned by Google LLC. In addition, Google LLC was reorganized as a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc. on October 2, 2015. Alphabet’s portfolio incorporates several industries, including life sciences, technology, investment capital, and research. Some of its subsidiaries include GV, CapitalG, Google, Google Fiber, Verily Chronicle, Waymo, Loon Calico, and X. Alphabet, Inc. is known as a collection of various companies, out of which the largest business segment is Google LLC in terms of revenue.
Google LLC is a leading US-based multinational Internet company, which offers digital products and services including software, hardware components, cloud computing, advertising technologies, and online search. In June 2018, Google LLC was ranked first amongst the most visited multi-platform web in the US with nearly 247 Mn of visitors in the same year. In 2017, parent company – Alphabet Inc. – registered revenue of US$ 110,855 Mn.
Most Visited Platform
|1||Amazon||E-commerce||Seattle, WA, US|
|2||Search||Mountain View, California, US|
|3||Social||Menlo Park, CA, US|
|4||Tencent||Social||Shenzhen, Guangdong, China|
|5||Alibaba||E-commerce||Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China|
|7||Princeline Group||Travel||Norwalk, CT, US|
|8||eBay||E-commerce||San Jose, CA, US|
|9||Netflix||Entertainment||Los Gatos, CA, US|
|10||Expedia Inc.||Travel||Believue, Washington, US|
|12||Salesforce.com||Cloud Computing||San Francisco, CA, US|
|13||Yahoo||Search Engine||Sunnyvala, CA, US|
|15||NetEase||Online Service||Guangzhou, Guangdong, China|
|17||Groupon||E-commerce||Chicago, Illinois, US|
|18||Social||Mountain View, California, US|
|19||Social||San Francisco, CA, US|
|20||Naver Corporation||Search Engine||Seoul, South Korea|
Google LLC owns over 200 companies, which involve robotics, mapping, video broadcasting, telecommunications, and advertising. The top four companies owned by Google are Google Maps, AdSense, DoubleClick, and YouTube.
Google LLC – List of Some Mergers and Acquisitions
|Aquisation Date||Google Company||Business||Country||Used as or Integrated with|
|December 10, 2018||Sigmoid Labs||Indian Railway Train Tracking||INR||–|
|November 28, 2018||Workbench||Education Technology Firm||US||Android|
|October 2, 2018||Onward||Machine Laerning & Natural Language Processing||US||–|
|September 19, 2018||Senosis||Health Monitoring||US||Nest Labs|
|August 6, 2018||GraphicsFuzz||GPU Reliabity||US||Android|
|May 9, 2018||Velostrata||Cloud Migration, Google Cloud Platform||ISR||Google Cloud Platform|
|March 27, 2018||Tenor||GIF Image Search||US||Google Image|
|October 11, 2017||60db||Podcasts||US||Google Play Music, Google Podcasts|
|October 9, 2017||Relay Media||AMP Converter||US||Accelerated Mobile Pages|
|September 26, 2017||Bitium||Single Sign-on & Identity Mangement||US||Google Cloud Platform|
|September 21, 2017||HTC (portion)||Talent & Inntellectual Property Licenses||TWN||Google Pixel|
|August 16, 2017||AIMatter||Computer Vision||BLR||YouTube|
|July 12, 2017||Halli Labs||Artificial Intellegence||IND||–|
|May 10, 2017||Owlchemy Labs||Virtual reality Studio||US||Google Classroom|
|May 14, 2017||Cask||Big data, Hadoop||UK||Google Cloud Platform|
|March 9, 2017||AppBridge||Productivity Suite||US||Google VR|
|March 8, 2017||Kaggle||Data Science||US||Google Cloud Platform|
|January 19, 2017||Fabric||Mobile App Platform||US||Firebase|
|January 5, 2017||Limes Audio||Voice Communication||SWE||Google Due & Google Hangouts|
The Parent company, Alphabet, Inc., operates through two key business segments namely: Google and Other Bets. Through its Google business segment, the company offers the main products such as Android, Chrome, Ads, Google Cloud, Google Maps, Commerce, Hardware, Search, Google Play, and YouTube. Through its Other Bets – the company offers a mixture of several operating segments and businesses such as Access, CapitalG, Calico, Verily, Waymo, GV, Nest, and X. In addition, revenues from the other bets are primarily generated through the sales of Nest products and services, sales of Internet and TV services via Fiber, and licensing and R&D services via Verily.
The majority of the company’s revenue is contributed by the advertising segment that includes incomes from traffic generated by search distribution partners who use Google.com as their default search in toolbars, browsers, etc. In 2017, Google Sites advertising revenue accounted for US$ 95,375 Million. Google LLC offers a wide range of Web-based products, Development tools, Operating systems, Desktop applications, Mobile applications, Hardware, and Services. In addition, Google owns and offers products such as Google Play, Google Maps, Gmail, and YouTube, which are among the leading social networking sites. Moreover, subsidiaries of the company include Google, Calico, Chronicle, GV, CapitalG, Verily, Waymo, X, Loon and Google Fiber.
The company operates in four regions namely: United States, Europe, and the Middle East & Africa, Asia Pacific, and Other Americas. In 2017, the US segment accounted for the highest revenue share of US$ 52,449 Mn, followed by Europe and the Middle East & Africa, Asia Pacific, and Other Americas.
Google LLC offers a wide range of products and services for various applications:
- Watch, Listen and Play – YouTube, Google Play Music, Chromecast, Google Play Movies,and YouTube TV
- Browser – Chrome
- Search – Search, Finance, Flights, News, Scholar, Patents, Books, Images, Videos, Hotels,Translate
- Navigation – Maps, Waze
- Productivity tools – Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms
- Social & communications – Gmail, Allo, Hangouts, Google Duo, Google+, Messages
- Storage and organization – Photos, Contacts, Calendar, Keep
- Personal Assistant – Google voice assistant
- Services – Fiber, DNS, Project Fi, Google pay
- Devices – Pixel 3, Connected Home, Pixel Slate, Google Wifi
- For Business – Google Ads, AdSense, Analytics, Google My Business, Google Survey
- On January 2018, Alphabet, Inc. acquired Redux – smartphone technology, which is specialized in turning smartphone screens into speakers.
- In October 2018, Google LLC to shut down Google+ after failing to disclose user data leak
- In November 2018, Google LLC acquired Workbench, which is a US-based company, that offers an online library of projects and lessons.
- Under this acquisition, the company focuses on integrating the Workbench tool with Google Classroom. In addition, currently, Google Classroom is one of the most widely used online educational tools, which lets parents, teachers, and students manage class discussions, assignments, and quizzes.
- In 2018, Google Search and Advertising tools helped generating $335 billion in economic activity for more than 1.3 billion millions of businesses, website publishers, and nonprofits across the United States..
- Many website publishers, non-profit organizations and 40,000 companies in the country benefited from the use of Google Ads and AdSense advertising tools.
- In 2018, Google had sent more than 14 billion dollars to music publishers around the world.
- As of November, 2018, in US, Google connects people to businesses nearby more than 9 billion times, including over 1 billion phone calls and 3 billion direction requests to stores every month.
Upcoming Launches in 2019
- Google Duo – new video calling app was launched along with its partnered app Google Allo – an instant messaging mobile app in 2016. On 25 January 2019, the company announced that it may launch a web client for its Duo video chat service.
- On 14 January 2019, SOTI Inc., which is a Canada-based provider of mobile and IoT device management solutions, partnered with Google LLC, in order to remotely supports and manages Android devices via the entire lifecycle through its SOTI Android+ technology.
- In April 2019, Google processed 9.57 billion search queries in US, accounting 62.7 percent of the US total desktop search queries and leading mobile search provider in the US
- In a minute on the Internet in 2019, there are 3.8 million requests, 230 million per hour and 6 Billion per day that is more than 2 Trillion searches per year worldwide.
- Daily visitors to Google is approximately 620 Mn.
- In July 2019, Google accounted for 95 percent of US mobile search visits and 93 percent of overall U.S. organic search engine visits.
- As of May 2019, Gmail is a product that 1.5 billion users rely on, to get things done every day.
- As of September 2019, People have already asked Google Lens more than a billion questions about things they see.
- Google sends 10 billion+ clicks per month to news publishers’ websites.
- As of May 2019, 2.5 million web publishers use AdSense to make money through their content on the web.
- According to a survey, in Europe the news content linked through Google were clicked more than 8 billion times a month that is 3,000 clicks per second to the publishers’websites in Europe resulting to each click between 4-6 euro cents.
- In the US, Google helps drive over 1 billion direct connections, like calls and online reservations, for businesses nationwide every month.
- Google owns its own common misspellings domains such as www.gooogle.com, www.googlr.com, and www.gogle.com
- Google runs over 1 Mn computer servers in data centers around the world.
- Last year, Google rejected more than 10 million ads that we suspected of copyright infringement.
- Around 35% of clicks for U.S. businesses, advertising on Google, came from outside the country.
- As of May 2019, about 80% of traffic from Google’s Showcase Shopping ads to retailer sites are from new visitors discovering the brands.
- Till date, Google has over 2 billion store offers mapped to physical store locations globally, discoverable by their current local ad formats like local inventory ads.
- Google Station serves more than 10 million people in 1,300 locations across India, Indonesia, Mexico, Nigeria, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Brazil.
- Google Assistant is now on more than one billion devices, available in more than 30 languages across 80 countries.
- As of 2019, more than 20 million people visit Google Account every day to review their settings, using Privacy Checkup.
- As of 2019, 90 million teachers and students are using G Suite for Education worldwide.
- Google has a database of over 4 billion credentials that have been compromised through various data breaches
- According to a 2018 Survey, around 72% of consumers in Indonesia see Google Search as the online gateway for personal loan information and the second most helpful source for Financial Services information, after the bank branches
- According to Google, In Indonesia, 46% of all searches for Internet packages come from Non-Metro areas
- Google.com domain went online in the year 1997.
- Google founders originally named it as ‘Backrub’.
- The name ‘Google’ is derived from the mathematical term ‘googol’ – basically one with a hundred zeros following it
- 2018 top searches on Google include
- International Football World Cup
- Mr. Tim Bergling – Swedish DJ and producer died at the age of 28
- Mr. Mac Miller – the rapper died due to the overdose of drugs and alcohol at age of 26
- Top searches which provide funny suggestions on google include
- “who would win in a fight between…”
- “I think I might be a…”
- “why are the…”
- 88 languages can be used in Google home page
- Google is the first place people go to discover a new brand or product.
- Presently about 80,110 employees are working for Google, and the new employees are called ‘Nooglers’
- Since 2010, Google has been acquiring on an average of 1 company approximately every week
- Every day, hundreds of millions of people do shopping-related searches on Google.
- Alphabet has a market value of 863.2 billion US$
- Brand value of Google in 2019 was 309 Billion US$