Bing is a web search engine owned and operated by Microsoft. The service has its origins in previous Microsoft search engines: MSN Search, Windows Live Search, and later Live Search. Microsoft Corporation developed it using ASP.NET by. The company previously launched MSN Search and Windows Live Search. Bing was launched as a replacement for Live Search in mid-2009 in San Diego, California, US. Bing is available in forty languages globally and includes a left-hand navigation bar, which is a feature that allows users to preview web pages before visiting them. It also has a feature that categorizes searches and search results based on topics. Subdivision categories of Bing include maps, health, web, and images. In case of any type of query, Bing creates search categories dynamically. Bing ads are designed for delivering online advertisements to global audiences.
According to Microsoft’s annual report in 2018, search advertising revenue increased by US$ 793 Mn or 13%, and search advertising revenue – excluding traffic acquisition costs – increased by 16%. This growth was driven by Bing, owing to higher revenue per search and search volume.
Microsoft Corporation develops, supports, and licenses devices, solutions, services, and software. The company operates in productivity and business processes, intelligent cloud, and more personal computing. Through its more personal computing segment, the company offers patent licensing, Windows volume, OEM, and other non-volume licensing of the Windows operating system; Windows Internet of Things, and MSN display advertising; devices comprising Surface, PC accessories, and other intelligent devices; Bing and Bing Ads search advertising and Xbox hardware and software and services.
According to Microsoft Corporation’s annual report in 2019, revenue increased from US$ 110,360 Mn in 2018 to US$125,843 Mn in 2019 with a 14% increment YoY.
Background History of the Company:
4th April 1975: Microsoft was founded
1st January 1979: The company moved from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Bellevue, Washington
25th June 1981: Microsoft officially incorporated
26th February 1986: Microsoft moved to corporate campus in Redmond, Washington
13th March 1986: The company stock went public
7th December 1995: Bill Gates outlined the company’s commitment to supporting and enhancing the Internet
25th June 1998: The company launched Windows 98
17th February 2000: The company launched Windows 2000
22nd June 2000: Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer outlined the company’s .NET strategy for Web services
31st May 2001: The company launches Office XP
25th October 2001: The company launched Windows XP
15th November 2001: The company launches Xbox
21st October 2003: The company launched the Microsoft Office System
30th January 2007: The company launched Windows Vista and the 2007 Microsoft Office System to consumers globally
3rd June 2009: The company launched Bing decision engine
22nd October 2009: The company launched Windows 7 and opened the first physical store in Scottsdale, Arizona
10th November 2010: The company launched Windows Phone 7
17th November 2010: The company announced the availability of Microsoft Lync
13th October 13, 2011: The company closed its acquisition of Skype
25th June 2012: The company acquired Yammer
4th September 2012: The company launched Windows Server 2012
12th September 2012: The company launched Visual Studio 2012
26th October 2012: The company launched Windows 8 and Microsoft Surface
29th January 2013: The company launched Office 2013, expands Office 365
18th February 2013: The company launched Outlook.com
3rd September 2013: The company announced the decision to acquire Nokia’s devices and services business, license Nokia’s patents and mapping services
27th March 2014: The company launched Office for iPad
25th April 2014: The company completed the acquisition of Nokia Devices and Services business
Nov. 6, 2014: The company announced Office apps for Android tablets
29th July 2015: The company launched Windows 10
1st June 2016: The company launched SQL Server 2016
29th September 2016: The company announced the formation of new AI and Research Group
18th October 2016: The company researchers achieve human parity in conversational speech recognition
8th December 2016: The company completed the acquisition of LinkedIn
17th March 2017: The company teams rolled out to Office 365 customers worldwide
23rd May 2017: The company announced Windows 10 China Government Edition
21st September 2017: The company, Facebook and Telxius completed Marea, which is the highest-capacity subsea cable to cross the Atlantic Ocean
22nd February 2018: The company opened its campus in Dublin, Ireland
26th October 2018: The company completed acquisition of GitHub
Some Recent Milestones:
- Bing is visually pleasing as a search engine
- Bing provides instant answers and conveniently organizes information for the user
- Bing blocked more than 5 Mn cryptocurrency advertisements in 2018, which is a new figure from the company reveal
- In March 2019, Bing started incorporating LinkedIn data for search add targeting.
What’s new in 2018?
- In 2018, search advertising revenue increased US$ 791 Mn or 15%, and – excluding traffic acquisition costs – increased 9%, primarily driven by higher revenue per search and search volume.
- In April 2019, the company launched action extensions to highlight calls-to-action, and the extensions feature one of 70 pre-defined calls-to-action.
- In March 2019, Microsoft Corporation and Verizon Media announced a new multi-year global native advertising deal to create a single global search platform to reach audiences across Bing, Yahoo, and AOL networks.
- In Q1 2020, search advertising revenue excluding the traffic acquisition costs, increased by 11%, due to higher revenue per search.
- In July 2019, more than 1.35 billion unique global visitors visited Bing.com
- In July 2019, Bing accounted for 2.72 percent of the global search market
- As of 2019, bing accounted for 12 billion monthly search requests worldwide, and in US the monthly search volume to Bing.com was around 500 million
- Bing accounted for 2 percent mobile search visits and 4 percent of overall U.S. organic search engine visits.
- Microsoft is one of the top patent holder corporations in the US
- Microsoft offers free candies and beverages to all its staffers. There are 35 cafeterias on the campus providing Italian, Mexican, and Chinese food, but Pizza is the most eaten food
- Each employee in Microsoft is required to bring in a pound of M&Ms on their yearly anniversary
- The campus of Microsoft has a high number of rabbits
- Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were once friends. Google and Microsoft worked together for the development of software for the Macintosh computer.
- Microsoft has more male employees than female
- Pioneering musician Brian Eno composed the Microsoft sound or the Window 95’s startup tune
- Microsoft has worked on its projects under various codenames
- Microsoft has a large art collection
- Bing users are 58% female
- Yahoo and Bing ads allow using 40 characters in the title of ads, unlike Google which allows only 25 characters
- Bing offers more support to small advertisements than Google
- Microsoft has the second highest market value 946.5 billion US$ among the 100 largest companies in the world.
- Brand value of Microsoft in 2019 was 251.24 Billion US$