Philo, Inc. is a US-based Online TV streaming company, engaged in selling products on E-commerce web-sites. The company has a well-established supply chain, and offers various services such as live streaming access of cable and broadcast channels to university students, which enables students to watch live news, prime-time TV, entertainment, and sports programs on their computers or smartphones. Investors in the company include HBO, Mark Cuban, and Facebook co-founder Andrew McCollum. Philo is planning to incorporate a social platform that joins viewers with family and friends, discover new content, watch shows together, and share favorite shows.
Philo was developed and designed in order to provide enhanced TV experience to customers, and was developed by Philo T. Farnsworth, the inventor of electronic television. The company was started in a college campus as a laboratory for making next-generation TV platform. In addition, Philo has received investment from various organizations, including New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Xfund, Rho Ventures, Home Box Office Inc. (HBO), WME, CBC New Media Group, and Mark Cuban’s Radical Investments.
Media companies such as A+E, AMC, Scripps, Viacom, and Discovery signed an agreement with Philo to combine their channels into a single service package. For a baseline US$ 16-per-month subscription, consumers can access on-demand and live streaming from 43 channels. This includes A&E, AMC, AXS TV, Animal Planet, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, BBC World News, CMT, Discovery, diy, Comedy Central, fyi, GSN, Food Network, History, Lifetime, IFC, ID, MTV, MTV2, Nick Jr., Nick, OWN, Spike, Sundance, Sci, Teen Nick, Travel, TLC, TV Land, Viceland, VH1, WE, and Velocity, among others.
In addition, credit card details are not required to register for free trials, and only a mobile phone number will suffice. However, credit card details can be provided after a few days, to access free service for a full week.
What are Philo’s key features?
Philo’s key feature is that it allows users to watch various streaming channels for just US$ 20 or less a month, which makes it the lowest costing channel amongst the various other service providers. In addition, consumers can access network channels using an affordable HD antenna.
Unlike various competing services, base bundle comprises DVR support, letting user save any show for up to 30 days for viewing later on any other device. Moreover, with saved shows and live channels, and is also a sizable volume of on-demand content available online. This includes movies and episodes of shows that were recently released on bundled channels. Philo allows users to watch up to three real-time streams across different devices, and it is a standard feature on either of the packages.
Philo recently rolled out into TV Everywhere support, and users can access three different channels on dedicated apps using their Philo login details and access additional on-demand movies, shows, and various other content. Philo offers DVR features which allows users to pause, fast forward, rewind, and save live TV. In addition, there is no limit on the number of shows users can save, but the recordings will disappear after 30 days. Look back feature offered by Philo keeps programs available for 72 hours to stream after broadcast.
- Animal Planet
- BBC America
- AXS TV
- BBC World News
- Cheddar Big News
- Discovery Channel
- Comedy Central
- Food Network
- Hallmark Channel (NEW)
- Hallmark Movies & Mysteries (NEW)
- Hallmark Drama (NEW)
- Investigation Discovery (ID)
- Lifetime Movies
- Nick Jr.
- Sundance Channel
- Travel Channel
- TV Land
- American Heroes Channel
- We TV
- BET Her
- Cooking Channel
- Discovery Family
- Destination America
- Law & Crime
- Discovery Life
- MTV Live
Philo Streaming platforms and devices
- Apple TV
- Fire TV
- In-browser app (Windows and Mac)
What’s new in 2018?
- Philo announced launch on Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, where it offers consumers broader access to the top 58 channels for only US$ 20 per month. Philo announced funding of US$ 40 Mn from its existing investors, with the AMC Networks, Viacom, Discovery, and the leading company’s Series C round of funding. Launch of Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV adds to list of the platforms Philo subscribers can utilize to access services that already include Roku devices, web browsers, and Android and iPhones devices via Chrome, as well as over 35 television apps. In addition, Philo launched the industry’s first entertainment-focused skinny bundle, which added new features for users. Philo is planning to invest in product enhancements/ features and to expand marketing efforts to reach out to an even larger audience. Philo is also engaged in additional advancements, including socially-driven TV experience. Philo offers various powerful functionality and features such as ability to watch up to three devices at the same time; seven-day free trial that can start in a few seconds using a phone number; freedom to watch unlimited 30-day DVR, on-demand library, start programs from beginning, pause any live channel, intelligent search, streamlined interface, and ability to easily share favourite shows to others.
- In July 2018, Philo, Inc. announced its partnership with National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC) in order to offer Philo, Inc. to NCTC membership of around 750 broadband and cable providers. With the help of this partnership, NCTC member organizations or companies are able to offer Philo’s over-the-top service to eight million TV consumers across the US.
- Consolidated Communications(CNSL), which is a US-based business and broadband communications service provider, announced its agreement with Philo, Inc. Philo service is available to all CNSL consumers, and can be viewed on any Internet-enabled device.
- Philo’s TV streaming services added Hallmark Channel, along with the Hallmark Mysteries and Movies and Hallmark Drama, to line-up other top lifestyle, entertainment, and knowledge programing.
- Philo TV was launched on Amazon Fire, Apple TV, and the company secured US$ 40 Mn funding
Upcoming Launches in 2019
- The company is expected to expand its packages throughout the year. In May, the company addedCheddar Big News, Tastemade, and PeopleTV to its channel lineup and will be bringing a base package to 58 channels from 40.
- It is expected to add a few new smaller channelsto its existing Plus package
- Philo is expected to addHallmark Drama, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, and The Hallmark Channel to its base package without raising the prices
- As of January 2018, Philo, Inc. service has approximately 50,000 subscribers.