Twitter is an online social and news networking online platform, where people can communicate in short messages called tweets via a personal computer or mobile phone. The platform provides a network enabling users to connect to one another, share ideas, opinions, information, and news. Twitter’s services include live connections, live conversations, and live commentary. In addition, the company offers a set of tools, embeddable widgets and public APIs for developers to contribute their content to its platform, syndicate and distribute Twitter content across their properties, and enhance their respective websites and applications with Twitter content. According to Twitter statistics and analysis, Twitter is mostly used by public figures like politicians, celebrities and musicians.
A user types a tweet via mobile phone keypad or computer and sends it to Twitter’s server, which relays it to a list of other users – known as followers – who have signed up to receive the sender’s tweets by either text message to their mobile phones, or by instant message to their personal computers. Twitter has become internationally identifiable by its signature bird logo, or the Twitter Bird. The original logo, which was simply the word ‘Twitter’, was in use from its launch in March 2006 until September 2010.
In June 2018, the Twitter market’s capitalization was approximately US$ 30 Bn. In 2018, revenue was US$ 3,042 Mn for the year. The majority of its revenue was generated via advertising and accounted for US$ 2,617 Mn in for the same year. Till the end of 2018, there were 100 new agreements and 50 + from international markets.
In 2019, twitter made the usage easier by allowing users to follow topics not just accounts. As of December 31, 2019, there were 1,700+ Topics that people could follow in six different languages, with adding news topics each week. These topics are automatically suggested or can be found through the Topics section in the side dashboard on mobile. Along with this, in 2019 Twitter launched the ability to share Lists on both iOS and Android and added account recommendations.
In Q4 2019, total US revenue was $591 million, an increase of 17% whereas total international revenue was $416 million, which is an increase of 3% YoY. And Japan holds its place as the second-largest market with the contribution of $139 that is 14% of total Q4 revenue.
Twitter Products Consist of:
- Promoted Tweets: These appear within a user’s timeline, search results, or profile pages just like an ordinary Tweet regardless of device. Twitter has added product features to Promoted Tweets based on advertiser objectives, which includes Tweet engagements –retweets, replies and likes, website clicks or conversions, mobile application installs or engagements, obtaining new followers, or video views.
- Promoted Accounts: These appear in the same format and place as accounts suggested by the Who to Follow recommendation engine, or in some cases, in Tweets in a user’s timeline. Promoted Accounts offer a way for advertisers on the platform to grow a community of users who are interested in their business, products, or services.
- Promoted Trends: These appear at the top of the list of trending topics or timeline for an entire day in a particular country or on a global basis. When a user clicks on a Promoted Trends, search results for that trend are shown in a timeline and a Promoted Tweet created by advertisers is displayed to the user at the top of those search results.
By region, in Q4 2019, the US advertising revenue totaled $509 Mn, whereas the international ad revenue was $375 Mn
By Product, the video ads format continued to show strength, especially from the video website card, in-stream video ads, and first view ads
By Sales, large to mid-tier customers, represents a sizable majority of the advertising revenue
The Twitter platform also allows customers to advertise across the mobile ecosystem, both on Twitter’s owned and operated properties as well as off Twitter on third-party publishers’ websites, applications, and other offerings across the full user lifecycle. The company enables advertisers to extend their reach beyond Twitter through:
- MoPub: mobile-focused advertising exchange, which combines add network mediation, a real-time bidding exchange into one comprehensive monetization platform, and ad serving.
- Twitter Audience Platform: an advertising offering that enables advertisers to extend their advertising campaigns with Twitter Promoted Products to audiences off Twitter while retaining access to Twitter’s measurement, targeting and creative tools.
From its inception, Twitter has been primarily a free SMS application, with a social networking element. Twitter was built using Ruby on Rails, which is a specialized web-application framework for the Ruby computer programming language. Its interface allows open adaptation and integration with other online services.
In March 2007, Mr. Jack Dorsey joined the management team, and the completed version of Twitter debuted at the South by Southwest music conference in Austin, Texas. In April 2009, Twitter’s social networking roots were obvious, when actor Ashton Kutcher emerged as the victor in a race with CNN to become the first Twittered to collect more than a million followers. In April 2010, Twitter unveiled ‘Promoted Tweets’ as its intended primary revenue source. In September 2013, Twitter became a public company and announced its initial public offering (IPO) in November, and raised US$ 1.8 billion, giving it a market value of US$ 31 billion.
As of Q4 2019, Monetizable Daily Active Usage (mDAU) grew around 21% Year-over-Year, driven by product improvements that is improvements in their machine learning model for better relevancy in Home timelines and notifications, and marketing.
- An average US mDAU was 31 Mn, as of Q4 2019
- Average International mDAU was 121 Mn, as of Q4 2019
- Average monetizable daily active users(mDAU) are 152 million as of Q4 2019
- Japan, is the second largest market, that is it contributed of 14% of the total revenue generated in Q4 2019
- Till end of 2019, Total ad engagements increased by 29%
- Cost Per ad engagement decreased by 13% in Q4 of 2019
- In 2019, in a minute on the Internet, 87,500 individuals are on Twitter.
- #barcamp: The first hashtag ever used on Twitter.
- 125M: Average number of hashtags Tweeted per day.
- #NFL: Most Tweeted about league hashtag of all time.
- #トレクル: Most Tweeted gaming hashtag of all time.
- #TheWalkingDead: Most Tweeted about TV hashtag of all time.
- #NowPlaying: (or #np) has been Tweeted more than 1 billion times.
- Twitter first made profit in Q4 2017.
- On November 7, 2013, Twitter priced their IPO at US$ 26 per share, and as of Jan 2019, it was US$ 31.
- Total of 1.3 billion accounts have been created
- 80% of active users access the site via mobile.
- Katy Perry has the most followers at over 107.8m, followed by Justin Bieber and then Barack Obama
- Taylor Swift and Liam Payne are the most influential women and men on Twitter
- 83% of the world’s leaders are on Twitter.
- There are 500 million Tweets sent each day, making it 8,414 Tweets every second.
- The most popular emoji on Twitter is the Face with Tears of Joy emoji
- During the 2014 FIFA World Cup Final, 618,725 tweets were sent in a single minute.
- 92% of companies Tweet more than once a day, 42% Tweet 1–5 times a day, and 19% Tweet 6–10 times a day
- Nearly 39% of monthly active users use the app on a daily basis as of Jan,2019.
- According to Crowd Analyzer’s State of Social Media 2018, Saudi Arabia has the largest number of users on Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat in the region
- In 2018, with increasing focus on improving health of public conversations on Twitter, there were promising results delivered in the same year, with 16% Year-over-Year decline in abuse reports from people.