US-based video-sharing website, YouTube, LLC, was founded by former PayPal employees, Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim in February 2005. Google LLC. bought the site in November 2006 for US$1.65 Bn, and currently, YouTube operates as a subsidiary of Google LLC.
YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others worldwide, and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers. The company’s categories include YouTube original channels, automotive, beauty, comedy, dance, entertainment, family-oriented, film and animation, finance, food, gaming, Hispanic, health, home and garden, how-to, music, news, pets and animals, science and technology, sports, travel, urban, and women’s interests. Users can upload, view, share, rate, report, add to favorites, comment on videos, and subscribe to content uploaded or shared by other users. Content available on YouTube include movies, video clips, TV show clips, music videos, documentary films, audio/video recordings, movie trailers, live streams, and other content such as video blogging, short original videos, and educational videos to name a few.
The content available on YouTube is mostly uploaded by individuals, but some media corporations such as CBS, the BBC, Vevo, and Hulu offer content through YouTube as part of a partnership. In addition, only registered users are able to upload an unlimited number of videos on the site, while unregistered users can only watch videos.
Best of YouTube
Music: The channel was automatically generated by YouTube’s video discovery system and offers top tracks and popular hits from a variety of genres
Sports: This includes all forms of competitive physical activity, sports, or games, media, and content related to maintaining or improving physical ability and skills
News: YouTube’s news destination provides comprehensive up-to-date coverage on the latest top stories regarding sports, business, entertainment, politics, and more
Live: YouTube Live enables access to live streams such as live gaming, live music, live sports, live news, and Google Hangouts
360: Official VR channel of YouTube, and can access the latest and best VR-ready videos on the platform
Gaming, Movies, TV Shows, Spotlight, etc.
YouTube Premium was formerly known as YouTube Red. This channel includes features across YouTube and a new YouTube Music app, as well as provides access to all YouTube Originals series and movies.
- Ad-free videos: Users can watch millions of videos without any interruption of ads
- Download videos to watch offline: Users can save videos and playlists on mobile devices and play or watch later in offline mode.
- Play in background: Feature allows video to continue to play while other apps are being used or when the mobile screen is on sleep mode
- YouTube Music app improves the world of music along with new and innovative apps
- Ad-free music: Listen to music without ads
- Download music to listen offline: Save music and playlists in YouTube Music app and listen offline
- Play in the background: Keeps playing music while using other apps or when the mobile screen is off
- Original movies and series as per user’s choice
- Offers Ad-free and offline play in YouTube Kids app
- Ad-free, offline, and background play in YouTube Gaming app
Google Play Music:
- Included at no additional cost
Background History of the Company:
2005: In February, domain name – www.youtube.com – was activated, and the first video was uploaded in April 2005
2006: In July 2006, the site grew rapidly and the company announced that over 65,000 new videos were being uploaded each day, and the site was receiving around 100 Million video views per day
2006: In October 2006, Google Inc. acquired YouTube for US$ 1.65 Billion in Google stocks
2009: In early 2009, YouTube registered the domain www.youtube-nocookie.com for videos embedded on US federal government websites. In November the same year, YouTube launched a version of ‘Shows’, which was available to UK viewers, and provided access to around 4,000 full-length shows from over 60 partners.
2010: In January 2010, the company introduced online film rentals service, which is currently available only to users in the US, Canada, and the UK. Users have access to over 6,000 films through this service.
In March 2010, YouTube started free streaming of certain content, including 60 cricket matches of the Indian Premier League (IPL), and this was the first worldwide free online broadcast of a major sporting event.
2011: In November 2011, the Google+ social networking site was integrated directly with YouTube and Chrome web browser, which allowed YouTube videos to be viewed from within the Google+ interface.
In December 2011, the company launched a new version of the site interface, with the video channels displayed in a central column on the home page, similar to news feeds of social networking sites. The new version of the YouTube logo was also introduced with a darker shade of red, which was the first change in design since October 2006.
2012: In October 2012, YouTube for the first time offered a live stream of the US presidential debate and partnered with ABC News.
In December 2012, YouTube relaunched its design and layout similar to the mobile and tablet app versions of the site
In addition, Gangnam Style became the first YouTube video to surpass one billion views in 2012
2013: Shooting took place at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno on April 3, in which three persons were injured, and a fourth person had died
- Share Video by Non-Member: Non-members can also share videos by clicking on the share video link. Once a user clicks on the link, a box appears under the video where the user can write e-mail addresses and a short description or message. Then, the user needs to click on send a message and sends an e-mail to a list of contacts with a link to the video.
- Video Toolbox: This section is where users can learn tips and tricks for video production. Several videos are available to users regarding lighting, video editing, camera angles, sound production, and special effects, and viewers do not have to be a YouTube member to view content here.
- TestTube: YouTube’s new applications for beta testing before rolling them out to the entire site. Some of TestTube’s applications include:
- Active sharing: Shows other YouTubers what a user is watching
- AudioSwap: Application allows a user to change the audio on video being viewed. This application was created to allow members to remove audio that was under copyright, and replace it with officially licensed music.
- Remixer: A program designed by Adobe Premiere Express that allows a user to edit videos, including all transitions and effects which are already loaded into YouTube.
- Streams: This act as a chat room, where multiple people can watch and comment on the same videos simultaneously.
- Search: At the time of uploading any video, a YouTuber fills out fields for the title, description, and tags in order to include key search terms.
News of 2019
- On 22 February 2019, YouTube stopped serving Ads to several popular channels that promote anti-vax videos. This move is believed to have been made after complaints came in from large advertisers who did not want their content playing alongside videos promoting anti-vaccine views.
Recent News 2020
- During COVID-19 Pandemic lockdown there has been a +195% increase in average daily views for videos on “How to” and “Handstand” in the title, +200% increase in average daily views “bubble tea recipe” videos and +330% increment for “banana bread” in the title. Whereas pizza recipe videos have earned 700 mn views. In March alone, 23,000 videos were uploaded to YouTube with “remote teaching” or “distance learning” in the title compared to 300 video uploads in its previous months of 2020 before the lockdown
Most-subscribed channels on YouTube in 2020:
- Kids Diana Show
- YouTube (formerly YouTube Spotlight)
- Cocomelon- Nursery Rhymes
- Set India
- 5-Minute Crafts
How to connect to a YouTube channel owner?
- Click on a YouTube username
- It will take you to the main page of the user’s channel
- User can use YouTube’s on-site messaging system to contact channel owner as long as the user is logged into Google account
- Click on the ‘About’ tab, and select ‘Send Message’ and fill in the electronic form
Youtube Statistics: Fun Facts
- Around 85% of YouTube users are outside the US
- Around 62% of YouTube users are male
- In the US, individuals between the age of 18–34 years old watch Youtube on mobile, reaching more of this US audience than any TV network
- Globally, 9% of small businesses are on YouTube
- The 35+ and 55+ age groups are the fastest-growing group of YouTube viewers
- Around 75% of adults turn to YouTube for nostalgia rather than tutorials or to view current events across the globe
- Millennials prefer YouTube over traditional television
- YouTube offers services among 91 countries in 80 languages
- Male viewers primarily watch soccer or strategy games, and female viewers watching beauty videos
- Gangnam Style was a popular video that exceeded YouTube’s view limit, prompting the site to upgrade its counter
- YouTube predicted that 50% of viewers under 32 will not subscribe to paid TV by 2025
YouTube Usage Statistics
- The first YouTube video uploaded titled ‘Me at the zoo’ shows co-founder Jawed Karim at the San Diego Zoo
- According to a survey by Google, in Indonesia, searches for “review” videos on YouTube grew by 40% in 2018
- In Thailand, one in three millennials say they use YouTube to educate themselves on particular topics, and four in 10 mothers use the platform to learn how to do specific things.
- As of July 2019, Watch time for gardening-related videos in Vietnam had increased by 90% YoY.
- As of May 2019, Watch time for finance-related videos in Thailand had more than quadrupled YOY in 2019.
- As of June 2019, Interest in “cooking tips” videos in Australia is on the rise, with watch time increasing by 60%
YouTube Business Statistics
- Around 2 Billion users are active monthly on YouTube site
- 150 Mn daily active users
- YouTube TV has 2 million subscribers as of 2020
- 5 Billion hours of videos are watched every single day, generating Billions of views
- In 20204.7 Million videos are viewed every minute
- More than 90% of viewers say they have discovered new brands or products on YouTube
- Average visit duration of the users is around 40 minutes
- As of April 2019, India is the biggest market with 265 Mn monthly active users alone
- Youtube covers 95% of the total Internet population
- Over 70% of YouTube watch time is done on mobile devices, making it approximately 500 Million mobile YouTube views per day
- For more than 250 Mn hours, youtube is watched on Tv screens per day
- YouTube launched local versions across more than 91 countries
- YouTube has navigated in around 80 different languages
- The number of channels earning six figures increased by more than 40% from 2018 to 2019, whereas channels earning five figures increased by more than 50%
- The number of channels with more than one million subscribers grew by 75% per year
- Almost 9,000+ partners using Content ID, including many major network broadcasters, movie studios, and record labels