LinkedIn Corporation was founded in 2002, and is headquartered in Mountain View, California, US, with its headquarters for Europe, Middle East, and Africa in Dublin, Ireland. LinkedIn Corporation is a subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation, as Microsoft Corporation acquired LinkedIn Corporation for US$ 26.2 Bn in 2016. LinkedIn is a globally well-known social network for the professional’s website. Members can create online resumes, list their current and previous job roles, their skills, and education details. They can link with other LinkedIn members who are searchable by preferred criteria. LinkedIn users can recommend other users, on the basis of their individual skills or through a more general written reference.
In 2005, LinkedIn opened up its first revenue making operations job listings and subscriptions. In 2011, it became a publicly listed company on the New York Stock Exchange under CEO, Jeff Weiner.
Background History of the Company
2002: LinkedIn was founded by Reid Hoffman, Allen Blue, Konstantin Guericke, and Jean-Luc Vaillant.
2004: With the introduction of address book uploads in late 2003, growth has accelerated significantly. LinkedIn introduced new features including Groups and partners with American Express to promote its offerings to small business owners. In 2004, there were 92,000 active LinkedIn members.
2005: Features such as Jobs and Subscriptions were added. In addition, more options such as People You May Know and Recommendations were introduced. With the introduction of these features, companies were able to not only post job and career listings but also look for prospective employees on the network. This increased the number of users to 1,568, 235.
2007: LinkedIn CEO Mr. Reid stepped aside after four years and brought Mr. Dan Nye to lead the company. LinkedIn opened a customer service center in Omaha, and reached 10 Mn active users.
2008: LinkedIn became a global company by opening its first international office in London, and launching Spanish and French language versions of the site
2010: With the new phase leadership for the company, LinkedIn shifted into hyper-growth mode. By the end of 2010, LinkedIn had 90 Mn members and around 1,000 employees in 10 offices across the globe.
2011: LinkedIn launched a business card scanning application named CardMunch for US$ 1.7 Mn. In addition, the company went for IPO and in turn traded its first share at US$ 45 per share.
2012: The company completely re-architected its website, which enabled an unprecedented pace of product innovation and transformation
2013: The company announced its Sponsored Updates ad service. Through this feature individuals and companies were able to pay a fee to have LinkedIn sponsor their content and share it to their user base.
2015: LinkedIn opened the Influencer program to everyone in the US, before bringing it to all English-speaking countries. For the first time in the history of the company, users were able to follow members that were not on their network in order to reach the largest amount of people possible.
2016: LinkedIn was the largest social media acquisition ever when Microsoft bought it for US$ 26 Bn
In Q1 2020, the LinkedIn revenue increased by 25% YoY with strong continued strength across all lines of business.
LinkedIn Content Marketing
- LinkedIn is the most preferred channel for B2B marketers to distribute content at 94%
- In 2018, Of 500 Mn users, just 3 Mn users shared content weekly
- LinkedIn makes up more than 46% of all social traffic to B2B websites & blogs
- 91% of marketing executives list LinkedIn as the top place to find quality content
- 92% of B2B marketers include LinkedIn in their digital marketing mix
- Only 1 Mn users have published an article on LinkedIn
- Around 45% of LinkedIn article readers are in upper-level positions such as managers, VPs, directors, and C-level
- Articles with titles between 40–49 characters perform the best on LinkedIn
- Articles without video perform better than those with video
- 80% of B2B leads come from LinkedIn vs. 13% on Twitter and 7% on Facebook
Upcoming Launches in 2019
- On 13 February 2019, LinkedIn Corporation launched a live video feature on its app to enable users to broadcast real-time videos. The beta version of LinkedIn Live is first launching as an invite-only feature in the US.
- In January 2019, LinkedIn announced to move its core hiring tools – LinkedIn Recruiter, LinkedIn Jobs, and Pipeline Builder – onto a single platform called New Intelligent Hiring Experience. This is will help recruiters be more productive and collaborative.
- 41% of millionaires use LinkedIn
- As of January 2020, there are 673+ Mn Professionals on LinkedIn
- There are 303 Mn monthly active users
- 1 Mn professionals have published post on LinkedIn
- An average user spends 17 minutes monthly on LinkedIn
- In 2014 LinkedIn was the most overused word in search
- LinkedIn profiles with professional headshots get 14 times more profile views
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining are top skills among the 35K listed skills on LinkedIn
- 59% of LinkedIn members have never worked at a company with more than 200 employees
- There are 5.5 Mn accountants on LinkedIn
- There are 3 Mn MBA graduates on LinkedIn
- 79% of B2B marketers see LinkedIn as an effective source of lead generation
- There have been 11 billion endorsements on LinkedIn
- The average CEO has 930 connections
- Around 90 thousand schools are listed on LinkedIn, currently
- The most overused profile word continues to be “Motivated” – which also topped in 2014 and 2015
- More than 90% of recruiters use LinkedIn regularly
- LinkedIn Slide Share currently has 70 million monthly active users
- 120 new professionals signingup every minute
- LinkedIn is available in 24 languages
LinkedIn Users Regionwise distribution
- As of January 2020, except these leading regions, Spain has 12 Mn+ users and the Netherland has 8 Mn+ users, Whereas Belgium, Portugal, Sweden, and Poland each have 3 Mn+ LinkedIn users and the rest Europe like Denmark, Ireland, Romania has 2 Mn+ users each, making total of 211 Mn users in Europe including the Czech Rep and Finland’s each 1 Mn+ users.
- Australia has 11 Mn+ LinkedIn users and Turkey has 8 Mn+ users.
- The Philipines, Colombia, Argentina, and South Africa, has 7 Mn+ users
- Malaysia and Chile has 5 Mn+ users
- UAE, Nigeria and Egypt has 4 Mn+ users
- South Arabia has 3 Mn+ users
- Republic of Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Kenya, New Zealand, and Morocco each has 2 Mn+ users
- Hong Kong and Isreal has 1 Mn+ users
- Regionwise, North America in total has 184+ Mn LinkedIn users, Asia-Pacific has 179+ Mn users, Latin America has 97+ Mn users and 33+ Mn linkedIn users in Middle East and Africa
LinkedIn Business Statistics
- In Q1 2020, LinkedIn session grew by 22% with record levels of engagement and job postings
- US is the biggest market (over 163 Mn users), followed by India (60 Mn), and China (48 Mn)
- More than 70 percent of LinkedIn members are outside the U.S
- LinkedIn has over 30 Mn companies and 20 Mn active job listings
- 61 Mn LinkedIn users are senior-level influencers and 46 Mn are in decision-making positions
- There are 46 Mn students and college graduates on LinkedIn and 87 Mn Millennial LinkedIn users (11 Mn Millennial decision makers)
- 43% of LinkedIn traffic is from the US, 7.4% from India, and 4.3% from the UK
- Every 4 out of 5 members drive business decision on LinkedIn, through marketing strategies
- 25% of US adults are signed up to LinkedIn
- LinkedIn sessions last an average 6:07 minutes
- 9 Bn content impressions take place on LinkedIn per week
- Median number of connections is between 500 and 999
- 122 Mn users have been invited to an interview through LinkedIn, with 35.5 Mn getting a job through someone with whom they are connected
- 11 million jobs listed on LinkedIn, with 5 Mn in the US alone
- LinkedIn app has been downloaded over 100 million times
- 57% of traffic comes from mobile devices
- Only 1% of users post content weekly, though 91% of executive use LinkedIn as a content source
- 130,000 articles are published on LinkedIn per month
- 80% of B2B leads come through LinkedIn
- In the 2018 fiscal year, LinkedIn brought in US$ 5.3 Bn worth of revenue
LinkedIn Users Statistics
- In 2017, LinkedIn’s monthly active user base reached 260 million, which is almost 2.5 times the 106 million monthly active users last reported in 2016
- Of LinkedIn’s total user base, it was last reported that 44% are women