Daniels Linseed Co. was founded in 1902, and incorporated as Archer-Daniels-Midland Company in 1923. A year after Daniels Linseed Co. was founded, George A. Archer joined the firm. Archer-Daniels-Midland company is a leading producer of various food and beverage ingredients, and products made used in agricultural sector. The company operates through four segments namely: Oilseeds, Origination, Nutrition, and Carbohydrate Solutions. The company offers various products such as natural colors and flavors, nutrition and health products, corn sweeteners, vegetable oils, flour, biofuels, and animal feed. The company has an extensive range of global grain elevator and a transportation networks in order to procure, clean, store, and transport agricultural products such as oilseeds, wheat, corn, milo, barley, and oats, as well as various derived products.
The company’s growth strategy is spread across five key growth platforms: Nutrition, Taste, Animal Nutrition, Carbohydrates, and Health and Wellness. The company also engages in agricultural commodities, handling and merchandising activities, and activities associated with structured trade finance, and distribution and import of different agricultural feed products. The company offers protein meals and vegetable oils, ingredients for food, energy, feed, and different industrial products industries, salad oils, crude vegetable oils, shortening, margarine, and other food products; and refined oils in order to produce glycols and biodiesel for applications in paints, chemicals, and other industrial products.
The company offers peanuts, peanut-derived ingredients, tree nuts, cotton cellulose pulp, and cottonseed flour; sweeteners, wheat and corn starches, glucose, dextrose, syrup, and various other bioproducts; animal and food feed ingredients; and alcohol, ethanol, and ethyl alcohol; corn gluten meal and feed; and citric acids. In addition, the company offers natural flavor ingredients, natural colors, flavor systems, proteins, soluble fibers, emulsifiers, polyols, nutrition and natural health products, hydrocolloids, and various other specialty feed and food ingredients; formula feeds, and animal nutrition and health products; edible beans; and private and contract label pet foods and treats. The company is also engaged in futures insurance and commission merchant services.
- The company’s overall revenue increased from US$ 60,828 Million in 2017 to US$ 64,341 Million in 2018, which was an incline of 5.8%.
- During 2016–2017, net sales increased by 23.4%, primarily driven by growth in products and service offerings
- The company’s origination segment’s overall revenue increased from US$ 24,124 Million in 2017 to US$ 25,060 Million in 2018, which was an incline of 3.9%.
- The company’s oilseeds segment’s overall revenue increased from US$ 22,388 Million in 2017 to US$ 24,831 Million in 2018, which was an incline of 10.9%.
- The company’s carbohydrate solutions segment’s overall revenue decreased from US$ 10,406 Million in 2017 to US$ 10,279 Million in 2018, which was an decline of 1.2%.
- The company’s nutrition segment’s overall revenue increased from US$ 3,523 Million in 2017 to US$ 3,790 Million in 2018, which was an incline of 7.6%.
History (Source: Company website)
1902 – Daniels Linseed Co. founded in Minneapolis
1903: George A. Archer joined the firm
1923 – Daniels Linseed Co. name changed to Archer Daniels Midland Company
1924 – Company is listed on New York Stock Exchange
1927 – Formed new grain division
1929 – Company began crushing soybeans and acquired flour milling business of Commander Larabee
1963 – Built an export terminal at Gulf of Mexico
1967 – Started barge freight business
1969 – Relocated the company’s headquarter to Decatur, Illinois
1974 – Acquired its first soybean processing plants in South America and Europe
1979 – The company established ADM trucking
1986 – Formed Golden Peanut Company
1994 – Invested in Asian agribusiness Wilmar
1997 – Acquired Glencore’s Brazilain operations and entered edible beans business
2009 – Launched ADM Cares corporate giving program and constructed first wholly-owned food ingredients facility in China
2014 – Acquired WILD Flavors and relocated its global headquarters to Chicago
2015 – The company acquired Eatem Foods
The company’s growth strategies are spread across five key growth platforms: Nutrition, Taste, Animal Nutrition, Carbohydrates, and Health and Wellness. The company is committed to execute these strategies and this vision by conducting business in accordance with core values of treating others with respect, operating with integrity, achieving excellence, displaying teamwork, being responsible, and being resourceful.
The company uses/employs its significant asset base to transport and originate agricultural commodities and connecting to markets in more than 170 countries. The company processes oilseeds, corn, and wheat into products for animal feed, food, energy, and chemical uses. The company is engaged in manufacturing, distribution, and sale of specialty products such as natural flavor ingredients, natural colors, flavor systems, proteins, soluble fiber, emulsifiers, polyols, natural and nutrition products, hydrocolloids, and other specialty food and feed ingredients.
The company’s operations are managed, organized, and classified into four business segments: Oilseeds, Origination, Nutrition, and Carbohydrate Solutions. These segments are organized based upon nature of services and products offered. In addition, other operations are not reportable business segments, and defined by applicable accounting standard.
- In June 2018, the company invested 50% interest in SoyVen, which was a joint venture with Cargill, in order to offer soybean oil and meal consumers in Egypt
- In June 2018, the company acquired 50% shares of Russian-based Aston Foods and Food Ingredients in order to expand its sweeteners and starches business
- In August 2018, the company acquired Probiotics International Limited, which is a UK-based company that offers probiotic supplements for pet, human, and production animal uses
- In August 2018, the company acquired Rodelle Inc.
- In October 2018, the company established GrainBridge LLC, which is a 50% joint venture with Cargill
- In December 2018, the company acquired Brazil-based Algar Agro, in order to enhance its soybean originations refining, crushing, and bottling assets
- In January 2019, the company acquired Neovia, which is a France-based provider of value-added animal nutrition solutions. Neovia has 72 production facilities and offers services in 25 countries.
- In January 2019, the company signed an agreement to purchase Florida Chemical Company, which is a US-based provider of citrus oils and other ingredients
- In January 2019, the company signed a purchase agreement with Gleadell Agriculture Ltd. in order to secure regulatory approval