Archer Daniels Midland Statistics: Daniels Linseed Co. was founded in 1902, and incorporated as Archer-Daniels-Midland Company in 1923. A year after Daniels Linseed Co. was founded, George A. Archer joined the firm. Archer-Daniels-Midland Company is a leading producer of various food and beverage ingredients, and products made used in the agricultural sector. The company operates through four segments namely: Oilseeds, Origination, Nutrition, and Carbohydrate Solutions. This company offers various products such as natural colors and flavors, nutrition and health products, corn sweeteners, vegetable oils, flour, biofuels, and animal feed. The company has an extensive range of global grain elevators and transportation networks in order to procure, clean, store, and transport agricultural products such as oilseeds, wheat, corn, milo, barley, and oats, as well as various derived products.
The company’s growth strategy is spread across five key growth platforms: Nutrition, Taste, Animal Nutrition, Carbohydrates, and Health and Wellness. The company also engages in agricultural commodities, handling and merchandising activities, activities associated with structured trade finance, and distribution and import of different agricultural feed products. This company offers protein meals and vegetable oils, ingredients for food, energy, feed, and different industrial products industries, salad oils, crude vegetable oils, shortening, margarine, and other food products; and refined oils in order to produce glycols and biodiesel for applications in paints, chemicals, and other industrial products.
The company offers peanuts, peanut-derived ingredients, tree nuts, cotton cellulose pulp, and cottonseed flour; sweeteners, wheat and corn starches, glucose, dextrose, syrup, and various other bioproducts; animal and food feed ingredients; and alcohol, ethanol, and ethyl alcohol; corn gluten meal and feed; and citric acids. In addition, the company offers natural flavor ingredients, natural colors, flavor systems, proteins, soluble fibers, emulsifiers, polyols, nutrition, and natural health products, hydrocolloids, and various other specialty feed and food ingredients; formula feeds, and animal nutrition and health products; edible beans; and private and contract label pet foods and treats. The company is also engaged in futures insurance and commission merchant services.
- The company’s overall revenue increased from US$ 64,656 Million in 2019 to US$ 64,355 Million in 2020.
- The company’s Ag Services and Oilseeds segment’s overall revenue decreased from US$ 54,633 Million in 2019 to US$ 49,716 Million in 2020.
- The company’s carbohydrate solutions segment’s overall revenue decreased from US$ 11,154 Million in 2019 to US$ 8,472 Million in 2020.
- The company’s nutrition segment’s overall revenue increased from US$ 5,786 Million in 2019 to US$ 2,812 Million in 2020.
History (Source: Company website)
1902 – Daniels Linseed Co. was founded in Minneapolis
1903: George A. Archer joined the firm
1923 – Daniels Linseed Co.’s name changed to Archer Daniels Midland Company
1924 – The company is listed on New York Stock Exchange
1927 – Formed a new grain division
1929 – Company began crushing soybeans and acquired the flour milling business of Commander Larabee
1963 – Built an export terminal in the Gulf of Mexico
1967 – Started barge freight business
1969 – Relocated the company’s headquarters to Decatur, Illinois
1974 – Acquired its first soybean processing plants in South America and Europe
1979 – The company established ADM trucking
1986 – Formed Golden Peanut Company
1994 – Invested in Asian agribusiness Wilmar
1997 – Acquired Glencore’s Brazilain operations and entered edible beans business
2009 – Launched ADM Cares corporate giving program and constructed the first wholly-owned food ingredients facility in China
2014 – Acquired WILD Flavors and relocated its global headquarters to Chicago
2015 – The company acquired Eatem Foods.
2016 – The company acquired a majority stake in Biopolis and launched ADM medsofts.
2017 – The Company acquired Crosswind Industries, Inc. and Chamtor.
2018 – Acquired Rodelle, Protexin, and purchased Algar Agro assets.
2019 – Acquired Neovia and joined paradigm for parity coalition.
2019- The company acquired Florida Chemical Company
2020- The company acquired Yerbalatina Phytoactives, a plant-based extracts and ingredients manufacturer
The company’s growth strategies are spread across five key growth platforms: Nutrition, Taste, Animal Nutrition, Carbohydrates, and Health and Wellness. The company is committed to executing these strategies and this vision by conducting business in accordance with core values of treating others with respect, operating with integrity, achieving excellence, displaying teamwork, being responsible, and being resourceful.
A company uses/employs its significant asset base to transport and originate agricultural commodities and connect to markets in more than 170 countries. The company processes oilseeds, corn, and wheat into products for animal feed, food, energy, and chemical uses. This company is engaged in the manufacturing, distribution, and sale of specialty products such as natural flavor ingredients, natural colors, flavor systems, proteins, soluble fiber, emulsifiers, polyols, natural and nutrition products, hydrocolloids, and other specialty food and feed ingredients.
The company’s operations are managed, organized, and classified into four business segments: Oilseeds, Origination, Nutrition, and Carbohydrate Solutions. These segments are organized based on the nature of services and products offered. In addition, other operations are not reportable business segments and are defined by applicable accounting standards.
- In June 2018, the company invested 50% interest in SoyVen, which was a joint venture with Cargill, in order to offer soybean oil and meal consumers in Egypt
- In June 2018, the company acquired 50% shares of Russian-based Aston Foods and Food Ingredients in order to expand its sweeteners and starches business
- In August 2018, the company acquired Probiotics International Limited, which is a UK-based company that offers probiotic supplements for a pet, human, and production animal uses
- In August 2018, the company acquired Rodelle Inc.
- In October 2018, the company established GrainBridge LLC, which is a 50% joint venture with Cargill
- In December 2018, the company acquired Brazil-based Algar Agro, in order to enhance its soybean originations refining, crushing, and bottling assets
- In January 2019, the company acquired Neovia, which is a France-based provider of value-added animal nutrition solutions. Neovia has 72 production facilities and offers services in 25 countries.
- In January 2019, the company signed an agreement to purchase Florida Chemical Company, which is a US-based provider of citrus oils and other ingredients
- In January 2019, the company signed a purchase agreement with Gleadell Agriculture Ltd. in order to secure regulatory approval
- In March, the company acquired Florida Chemical Company.
- In May, the company acquired Ziegler Group, a provider of natural citrus flavor ingredients.
- In January, the company acquired Yerbalatina Phytoactives, a plant-based extracts and ingredients manufacturer.
- In April, the company entered into a partnership with Sazerac to increase hand sanitizer production.
- In May, the company along with Marfrig Global Foods announced the formation of the joint venture, PlantPlus Foods to deliver plant-based products in South American and North American markets.
- In July, the company launched NutriPass L, an encapsulated lysine supplement.