Daimler AG is engaged in development, manufacturing, distribution, and sale of a wide range of automotive products. The company is one of the largest manufacturers of premium cars and a leading producer of trucks above six tons. Its product portfolio includes premium automotive brands such as Mercedes-Benz, Western Star, Mercedes-AMG, Brand Smart, EQ, Freightliner, FUSO, BharatBenz, Setra, Thomas Built Buses and Mercedes-Maybach and Mercedes me.
Mercedes-Benz is a leading premium brand in the automotive sector. The company is engaged in research and development of EQA and smart vision EQE concept vehicles. The EQ is an electric mobility brand which includes large SUVs. The company is planning to offer all-electric models in the passenger vehicle segment by 2022. Through its brand smart, Daimler offers its vehicles with combustion engines as well as with all-electric battery drive systems. The company launched a future-oriented initiative – adVANce – in order to transform itself from a division that only manufactures globally successful vans to a provider of holistic transportation and mobility solutions.
Five strategic ‘5C’ strategy, the company focuses on –
- Strengthening our global core business (CORE)
- Leading in new future fields (CASE)
- Adapting our corporate culture (CULTURE)
- Strengthening our customer- and market-focused structure (COMPANY)
- C: the customer (CUSTOMER)
Daimler Group structure 2018:
- Mercedes-Benz Cars – This business division comprises a broad spectrum of premium vehicles under the brands of Mercedes-Benz, the Mercedes-Maybach luxury, and the Mercedes-AMG high-performance. These vehicles range from compact models to a highly varied portfolio of off-road vehicles, coupes, roadsters, S-Class luxury sedans, and convertibles. The Mercedes-Benz Cars division is continuously focusing on refining its production network and plants are located over 30 locations on four continents of the globe.
- The percentage of cars sold during the year 2018, were China (28%), other European markets (28%), the US (14%), Germany (14%), Japan (3%), and South Korea (3%)
- Daimler Trucks – Under this division, the company is engaged in the development and production of vehicles under the brands FUSO, Mercedes Benz, Western Star, BharatBenz, and Freightliner. The company’s 26 production facilities are located in the NAFTA region, Europe, Asia, and South America. The products offered via this division include light, medium, and heavy-duty trucks for long-distance, distribution and construction-site haulage, and special vehicles that are used mainly for municipal applications.
- The percentage of trucks sold during the year 2018 in the most important market, were the NAFTA region with 37% of unit sales, Asia region with 32%, and the EU 30 region with 17%
- Mercedes-Benz Vans – Through this business division, the company offers a wide range of vans and related services. Its manufacturing facilities are located in Germany, Spain, Argentina, China, Russia, and the US.
- The product portfolio of Mercedes-Benz vans under the commercial segment includes the Sprinter large van, the Citan urban delivery van, and the Vito mid-size van.
- From its segment for private customers, the company offers Marco Polo travel vans, recreational vehicles, and V-Class full-size MPV
- In 2018, the important markets for vans were EU30 region, which accounts for 66% of unit sales, NAFTA region (12%), and Asia region (9%)
- Daimler Buses – The company’s buses are sold under brands of Mercedes-Benz and Setra. The manufacturing plants are located at EU30 region, India, Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico. Product offerings include a wide range of city and inter-city buses, bus chassis, and touring coaches.
- In 2018, Daimler Buses generated 70% of its revenue in the EU30 region and 14% in the Latin America region
- Daimler Financial Services division funds the sales of the Daimler Group’s automotive brands in over 40 countries globally. Product portfolio includes tailored financing and leasing packages for dealers and customers. In addition, it offers brokering of insurance and credit cards, the provision of fleet management services, investment products, and various mobility services.
- In 2018, the total number of users of mobility services was 31.0 million
- 2018, Daimler Financial Services leased or financed approximately 50% of the vehicles sold by Daimler Group worldwide
- Daimler AG and the BMW Group combined their mobility services:
- In March 2018, The BMW Group and Daimler AG signed an agreement to merge their mobility services business units in order to enhance offerings in the areas of car sharing, parking, charging, ride-hailing, and multimodality
- Electric mobility in China
- in March 2018, Daimler partnered with BAIC Group in order to expand in the new energy vehicle (NEV) sector
- Acquisition of a stake in electric bus manufacturer
- In September 2018, Daimler Trucks acquired US-based Proterra Inc.
- In June 2019, Daimler India and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited launched co-branded fleet card, to offers its service for the entire range of trucks
- In May 2019, the company opened a dealership in Phuentsholing, Bhutan, in order to offer Daimler’s commercial vehicle brands of BharatBenz trucks and Fuso buses
- In April 2019, the company opened Mercedes-Benz plant in Russia; the plant covers all production stages, from the paint shop to final assembly
- The Mercedes-Benz Cars division sold a total of 2,382,800 vehicles in 2018
- The S-Class sales increased by 6% to 83,800 units
- S-Class Sedan sales increased and reached to 77,700 units (+7%)
- The company delivered 517,300 heavy-, medium-, and light-duty trucks
- Mercedes-Benz Vans sales increased by 5% and reached to 421,400 vehicles