Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV is a brewing company that engages in the production, distribution, and sale of alcoholic beverages, beer, and soft drinks. InBev was founded through the 2004 merger of the Brazilian Companhia de Bebidas das Américas (AmBev) and Belgian Interbrew SA. InBev was an international brewer producing over 200 brands of beer at that time. Anheuser-Busch, was an American company among the largest beer producers, offering brands including Budweiser and Michelob. Anheuser-Busch was acquired in November 2008, becoming a subsidiary of the newly formed Anheuser-Busch InBev. Anheuser-Busch InBev is publicly listed, with its primary listing on the Euronext Brussels. The company has secondary listings on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, New York Stock Exchange, and Mexico City Stock Exchange.
The company currently offers a variety of products, comprising approximately 500 beer brands, including Budweiser, Stella Artois and Corona; Beck’s, Castle, Hoegaarden, Castle Lite, and Leffe; and Aguila, Bud Light, Brahma, Antarctica, Cass, Cristal, Harbin, Michelob Ultra, Modelo Especial, Quilmes, Victoria, Skol, and Sedrin. These brands can be further segmented in various categories such as affordable, premium, easy drinking, flavored beers, and near beer options. Anheuser-Busch operates in markets in North America, Europe, Latin America West, Latin America North, Latin America South, Asia Pacific and Africa,
Production & Operations Review
- Anheuser-Busch InBev completed the acquisition of SABMiller in a deal valued at over US$ 100 Billion, in October 2016.
- The company’s revenue in 2019 was US$ 52,329 Million, which is lower compared to 2018 revenue of US$ 54,619 Million.
- Beer production volume of the company was 567 Million hectolitre (hls) in 2018, which indicates a reduction of 7.5% as compared to 2017 production of 613 Million hls.
- In 2018, Anheuser-Busch InBev won 377 beer awards at 16 major international competitions.
- In July 2019, Anheuser-Busch InBev is seeking to raise up to US$ 9,800 Million by listing itself in Hong Kong for its Asia Pacific business. It is expected to be the world’s largest initial public offering for the current year.
- Revenue per hl growth on a constant geographic basis for Anheuser-Busch InBev was 4.7%, of which it is estimated that more than 100 bps was driven by positive mix of premiumization and innovation strategy.
- In June 2019, BanQu Inc. deepened its partnership with Anheuser-Busch InBev through an investment deal with ZX Ventures. Launched in 2015, ZX Ventures’ is mandated to develop new products and businesses that address consumer and commercial needs, including end-to-end supply chain transparency, efficiency, and traceability in emerging markets.
- In May 2019, Anheuser-Busch InBev launched its First In-House Agency in Europe in order to “work in a nimble and more agile way”. By this, the company expects to ensure more culturally relevant products while inspiring creativity.
- In January 2019, Anheuser-Busch InBev was selected by Bloomberg Gender Equality Index as one of 230 companies around the world which are working towards more equal, inclusive workplaces.
- In October 2018, Anheuser-Busch InBev announced global water security partnerships with two of the worlds-leading NGOs – The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) – to see water secure
- Anheuser-Busch InBev has invested significantly in blockchain technology, and an undisclosed amount has been invested into BaaS BanQu player as part of a Series A funding round.
- According to “BrandZ”, eight out of the 10 most valuable beer brands belong to Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Anheuser-Busch InBev has 50 operations in around 50 countries
- Budweiser was the most “talked about” brand on digital and social media during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, with an estimated five billion social media impressions
- According to Euromonitor, Anheuser-Busch InBev brews more than a quarter of the world’s beer
- In 2015, Anheuser-Busch InBev set Global Smart Drinking Goals for itself to contribute to WHO and UN SDG targets to reduce the harmful use of alcohol globally
- Anheuser-Busch InBev’s heritage begins from the Den Hoorn brewery in Leuven, Belgium, dating back as far as 1366. Anheuser-Busch brewery had its origins in 1852 in St. Louis, US.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev has partnered with Enactus for the Better World Project, which encourages recycling of glass bottles
- ZX Ventures is Anheuser-Busch InBev’s global growth and innovation group
- On April Fool’s Day in 2017, Anheuser-Busch InBev offered limited edition six-packs of Hefeweizen, with a surprise inside. Opening the cans unleashed a cloud of glitter.
- In October 2018, Anheuser-Busch InBev started a social media campaign called ‘Brewers On Tap’, that gives behind-the-scenes insight into some of the company’s renowned breweries, thereby imparting knowledge about the art and science behind brewing
- Anheuser-Busch InBev has 13,000 owned retail locations around the globe
- In 2018, Anheuser-Busch InBev distributed 1.4 Million cans of emergency water in the US as a part of its social responsibility
- Anheuser-Busch InBev, in its commitment towards a greener earth, has contracted 50% of its electricity from renewable sources
- Anheuser-Busch InBev’s Beer Garage is located in Silicon Valley, and its Global Analytics Center is in Bengaluru, India