Global Surgical Gloves Market By Material (Natural Rubber, Nitrile, Neoprene, Polyisoprene and Other Materials) By Sterility (Sterile Gloves and Non- Sterile Gloves) By Form (Powder and Powder-free) By Distribution Channel (Online and Offline) By End-User (Hospitals & Clinics, Diagnostic Centers and Other End-Users) by Region and Companies - Industry Segment Outlook, Market Assessment, Competition Scenario, Trends and Forecast 2022-2032
- Published date: Nov 2023
- Report ID: 16399
- Number of Pages: 257
The Global Surgical Gloves Market size is expected to be worth around USD 3767.9 Million by 2032, from USD 2123.9 Million in 2023, growing at a CAGR of 5.9% during the forecast period from 2023 to 2033.
Surgical gloves are used during surgery and are usually prepared to a higher standard, and have better precision, more precise size, and sensitivity. Surgical gloves help protect doctors and patients from cross-contamination during medical examinations. Surgical gloves are made of polymers, including polyisoprene, latex, neoprene, and nitrile. These products can be used as sterile gloves. From surgical purposes to dental applications, surgical gloves have many uses in the medical field. Surgical gloves are used in crime scene assessment due to their tight fit and thinness so that they can be conveniently used.
The latex used to make these gloves is replaced by isoprene or nitrile, or neoprene is widely used because of the increase in allergies caused by latex in the general population. Latex is used as a raw material for manufacturing surgical gloves because it is cheap. Nowadays, the available high-Product Type nitrile gloves are more effective than latex. This is one of the reasons; cost-effective latex has not been replaced by hospitals. In 2016, the FDA decided to ban the use of powdered surgical gloves due to its respiratory effect. In Germany and the UK, their healthcare systems have also banned the use of these products.
In 2023, Natural Rubber held a dominant market position, capturing more than a 38.5% share in the surgical gloves market. This segment’s growth can be attributed to the material’s high elasticity and comfort, making it ideal for sensitive medical procedures. Natural rubber gloves are known for their superior tactile sensitivity, a critical factor for surgeons needing precise control during operations.
Nitrile gloves, another key segment, are gaining traction due to their strong resistance to chemicals and punctures. As of 2023, they represent a significant portion of the market, appealing to healthcare professionals who prioritize durability and safety. Nitrile gloves are also favored in environments where latex allergies are a concern, offering a hypoallergenic alternative to natural rubber.
Neoprene gloves have emerged as a preferred choice in specific surgical scenarios, especially where high chemical resistance and elasticity are required. These gloves offer a balance between sensitivity and protection, making them suitable for a variety of surgical procedures.
The Polyisoprene segment is noteworthy for its synthetic nature, providing a latex-like feel without the allergenic properties. This makes polyisoprene gloves an ideal choice for healthcare professionals with latex sensitivities. Their increasing adoption in surgical settings can be seen as a response to the growing need for hypoallergenic yet high-performance gloves.
Other materials, including various synthetic blends and innovations, are also part of this diverse market. These materials cater to niche requirements within the surgical glove market, offering specialized properties such as enhanced grip, temperature resistance, and extended wear comfort.
In 2023, Sterile gloves held a dominant market position, capturing more than an 68.5% share in the surgical gloves market. This segment’s prominence is primarily due to the critical need for sterility in surgical and invasive procedures. Sterile gloves undergo rigorous sterilization processes, ensuring they are free from microorganisms, thereby reducing the risk of infections during surgeries. The high demand for these gloves is reflective of their indispensable role in maintaining aseptic conditions in operating rooms and other sterile environments.
Non-sterile gloves, while occupying a smaller market share, play a vital role in non-invasive medical procedures and examinations. These gloves are suitable for tasks where sterility is not a primary concern, such as in general patient care or routine medical examinations. The lower cost and broader application range make non-sterile gloves a practical choice in various healthcare settings.
The market dynamics of both sterile and non-sterile gloves are influenced by factors such as the rising awareness of hygiene in healthcare, the increasing number of surgical procedures, and the growing emphasis on infection control protocols. While sterile gloves lead the market due to their critical application in surgeries, non-sterile gloves maintain a steady demand in other medical and healthcare areas.
Powder-Free gloves held a dominant market position, capturing more than an 88.5% share in the surgical gloves market in 2023. This segment’s strong market presence is largely due to increased awareness about the potential risks associated with powdered gloves, such as allergies and respiratory issues. Powder-free gloves are treated to be smooth and easy to put on, without the need for powder. Their rising popularity is also attributed to their reduced contamination risk, making them a safer choice in surgical and medical environments.
Powdered gloves, though occupying a lesser share of the market, are valued for their ease of donning, especially in high-paced environments where quick glove changes are necessary. However, the market share of powdered gloves has been declining due to mounting concerns over health risks and stricter regulations limiting their use.
The shift in preference towards powder-free gloves reflects the evolving industry standards and heightened safety protocols in healthcare settings. The market trend indicates a growing demand for safer, more user-friendly glove options, leading to increased innovation and improvement in powder-free glove technologies.
Distribution Channel Analysis
Offline distribution channels led market by capturing more than a 64.7% share in the surgical gloves market in 2023. This segment includes traditional brick-and-mortar establishments like medical supply stores, pharmacies, and direct sales from manufacturers to healthcare institutions. The preference for offline channels is largely due to the immediate availability of products, the ability to physically assess quality, and established relationships between suppliers and medical facilities. These factors are particularly important in the healthcare sector, where timely access to high-quality surgical gloves is crucial.
Online channels, while holding a smaller market share, are rapidly growing. This growth can be attributed to the convenience of online ordering, wider availability of product ranges, and competitive pricing. Online platforms are becoming increasingly popular among smaller healthcare providers and individual practitioners due to their ease of access and the ability to compare different products efficiently.
The surgical gloves market is experiencing a gradual shift as online platforms gain more traction, driven by technological advancements and changing purchasing behaviors. However, the offline segment continues to lead due to its established presence and reliability in supplying critical medical products.
In 2023, the surgical gloves market was predominantly led by Hospitals & Clinics, which accounted for over 64.9% of the market share. This segment’s leadership is attributed to the high volume of surgical and medical procedures performed in these settings. Hospitals and clinics have a continuous and substantial need for surgical gloves to maintain hygiene and prevent cross-contamination. The high demand in this segment is a direct reflection of the ongoing efforts to uphold patient safety and stringent infection control standards.
Diagnostic centers, another key end-user segment, also utilize surgical gloves, albeit to a lesser extent. These facilities primarily use gloves for sample collection and minor procedures, contributing to the market share. The role of surgical gloves in diagnostic centers is crucial for ensuring the safety of both patients and healthcare professionals during various diagnostic procedures.
Other end-users, including ambulatory surgery centers, nursing homes, and research laboratories, collectively form a significant portion of the market. These varied settings have specific requirements for surgical gloves, depending on the nature of care and procedures conducted. The demand in this segment is driven by the growing healthcare infrastructure and the expanding scope of medical and research applications.
Key Market Segments
- Natural Rubber
- Other Materials
- Sterile Gloves
- Non- Sterile Gloves
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Diagnostic Centers
- Other End-Users
- Increasing Demand for Disposable Gloves: The shift towards disposable gloves, particularly nitrile gloves, is a significant market driver. They’re favored for their ability to prevent contamination and reduce infection risks, as highlighted by Sterimax Global in April 2022.
- Rising Hospital-Acquired Infections: A notable driver is the growing concern over hospital-acquired infections. For example, Southeast Asia reported a 21.6% prevalence of such infections, as per the National Library of Medicine in February 2023. This concern is boosting the demand for disposable surgical gloves.
- Government and Industry Initiatives: Strategic moves by governmental and industry players are also propelling market growth. A case in point is the U.S. Department of Defense’s $63.6 million contract in May 2021 to increase domestic nitrile glove production.
- Global Health Emergencies: The COVID-19 pandemic underscored the need for personal protective equipment, including surgical gloves, thereby spurring market demand.
- Stringent Infection Control Regulations: Government guidelines emphasizing infection control in healthcare settings are driving the need for surgical gloves.
- Supply Chain Disruptions: Trade restrictions and manufacturing challenges can cause surgical glove shortages, impacting market availability.
- Latex Allergies: The risk of allergies from latex gloves is a market constraint, promoting the use of alternative materials like nitrile and vinyl.
- Global Awareness of Hygiene and Infection Control: The increasing emphasis on hygiene is opening up new opportunities in the market, especially for non-latex gloves.
- Innovative Material Development: The creation of synthetic and biodegradable materials offers growth potential, catering to both environmental concerns and market needs.
- Expanding Healthcare Industry: The growth in healthcare infrastructure, particularly in developing countries, presents significant opportunities for market expansion.
- Adverse Effects of Surgical Gloves: Issues like allergic reactions and dermatitis from latex gloves are a challenge, necessitating careful product choice and innovation.
- Counterfeit Medical Products: The prevalence of counterfeit or substandard medical gloves, especially in LMICs, poses a significant challenge to market integrity and patient safety.
- Disposable Gloves Segment Growth: This segment is expected to see considerable growth due to its advantages over reusable gloves.
- Technological Advancements: Innovations in digitalization and automation are improving process efficiency, thus driving market expansion.
- Aging Population Impact: The growing elderly population, particularly in the U.S., is anticipated to increase healthcare spending and, consequently, the demand for surgical gloves.
North America: Leading the Market with Strong Growth
- Dominance: In 2023, North America is leading the Surgical Gloves Market with a 37.8% share, amounting to USD 802.8 Million.
- Growth Factors: The region’s dominance is fueled by advancements in medical technology, stringent regulatory guidelines, and a high number of surgical procedures. For example, the U.S. alone reports over three million surgical cases annually. Total admissions in U.S. hospitals were about 34.01 million in 2023, contributing significantly to the demand for surgical gloves.
- Key Developments: Strategic partnerships and product launches, such as the introduction of the Biogel PI UltraTouch surgical glove by Mölnlycke, are driving market growth in the U.S. The presence of approximately 9,280 ambulatory surgical centers further accelerates market expansion.
Asia Pacific: High Growth Expected
- Anticipated Growth: The Asia Pacific region is projected to witness a CAGR of 6.5% during the forecast period.
- Drivers: The growth in this region is attributed to an aging population, rising disposable incomes, increased health awareness, and significant investments in healthcare. For instance, by 2060, over 1.2 billion Asians aged 65 and older are expected, highlighting a growing demand for healthcare services, including surgical gloves.
Europe: Increasing Demand for Personal Protective Equipment
- Growth Drivers: The demand for surgical gloves in Europe is driven by the rise in qualified healthcare workers and stringent regulations ensuring the safety of healthcare practices. Countries like Germany, Finland, Belgium, and Ireland are contributing significantly to this demand.
Central & South America: Expanding Healthcare Infrastructure
- Market Dynamics: The demand in Central & South America is growing due to factors such as an aging population, rising chronic diseases, and improvements in healthcare infrastructure. For example, Rubberex Corp (M) Bhd’s initiative to expand its nitrile glove production lines is an indicator of market growth in this region.
- Hartalega Holdings
- Globus Group
- Kanam Latex Industries Pvt. Ltd.
- Cardinal Health Inc.
- Ansell Ltd.
- Medline Industries, Inc.
- Leboo Healthcare Products Limited
- Berner International GmbH
- Sun Healthcare (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- October 2023: Top Glove Corporation Bhd, a major surgical gloves maker, announced they will spend RM1 billion (US$224 million) to make more gloves in Malaysia. They plan to make 50% more surgical gloves by 2025.
- September 2023: Ansell Limited, another big company in this market, introduced their new GAMMA PRO surgical glove. This glove is specially made to better protect against viruses and bacteria.
- August 2023: The value of the worldwide surgical gloves market was US$2.7 billion in 2022. It is expected to grow at a rate of 4.5% each year for the next ten years. This growth is because more countries are buying surgical gloves and there is an increase in chronic diseases.
- July 2023: The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gave new instructions for surgical glove labels. These instructions help to identify if the gloves are sterile (completely clean) or non-sterile.
- June 2023: The European Commission set new safety rules for personal protective equipment (PPE), which includes surgical gloves. These rules make sure that PPE like gloves meet high safety and performance standards.
Report Features Description Market Value (2023) USD 2123.9 Million Forecast Revenue (2032) USD 3767.9 Million CAGR (2023-2032) 5.9% Base Year for Estimation 2023 Historic Period 2017-2022 Forecast Period 2024-2033 Report Coverage Revenue Forecast, Market Dynamics, Competitive Landscape, Recent Developments Segments Covered By Service (Trauma or Injury Treatment, Acute Illness Treatment, Physical Examinations, Immunization and Vaccination and Others) By Ownership (Hospital, Physicians, Corporation and Others) Regional Analysis North America – The US, Canada, & Mexico; Western Europe – Germany, France, The UK, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Ireland, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux, Nordic, & Rest of Western Europe; Eastern Europe – Russia, Poland, The Czech Republic, Greece, & Rest of Eastern Europe; APAC – China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia & New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, & Rest of APAC; Latin America – Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, Costa Rica, & Rest of Latin America; Middle East & Africa – Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Kuwait, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, & Rest of MEA Competitive Landscape Hartalega Holdings, Sempermed, Globus Group, Kanam Latex Industries Pvt. Ltd., Cardinal Health Inc., Ansell Ltd., Medline Industries, Inc., Leboo Healthcare Products Limited, Berner International GmbH, Sun Healthcare (M) Sdn. Bhd. And Other Key Players Customization Scope Customization for segments, region/country-level will be provided. Moreover, additional customization can be done based on the requirements. Purchase Options We have three licenses to opt for: Single User License, Multi-User License (Up to 5 Users), Corporate Use License (Unlimited User and Printable PDF)
- Mölnlycke Health Care AB
- Medline Indust Ansell Limited ries, Inc.
- TOTAL S.A.
- Top Glove Corporation Bhd.
- Cardinal Health, Inc.
- Ansell Limited
- Asma Rubber Products Pvt. Ltd.
- Kossan Rubber Industries Bhd
- Shandong Yuyuan Latex Gloves Co., Ltd
| Single User|
USD / per unit
| Multi User|
USD / per unit
| Corporate User|
USD / per unit
|Report Library Access|
|Data Set (Excel)|
|Company Profile Library Access|
|Free Custumization||No||up to 10 hrs work||up to 30 hrs work|
|Accessibility||1 User||2-5 User||Unlimited|
|Analyst Support||up to 20 hrs||up to 40 hrs||up to 50 hrs|
|Benefit||Up to 20% off on next purchase||Up to 25% off on next purchase||Up to 30% off on next purchase|
|Buy Now ($ 3,499)||Buy Now ($ 4,299)||Buy Now ($ 4,999)|