Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a South Korea-based electronics company engaged in consumer electronics, information technology, mobile communications, and device solutions businesses globally. The company offers mobile phones and smartphones, tablets, wearables, virtual reality, and audio products; televisions, and home theaters; LCD and OLED panels; laptops, computers, chrome books, HDM, memory and system LSI products, monitors, and printers; and home appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioners, ovens, air purifiers, cooktops and hoods, microwaves, dishwashers, washers, dryers, vacuum cleaners, and heating products, as well as TV and home theater accessories. The company holds a leading position in the market for various product categories of products.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. also provides security and monitoring, trackers, Wi-Fi routers, hubs, sensors, outlets, and buttons. In addition, the company is engaged in the technology and venture capital investment businesses; manufacture of semiconductor equipment and components; and provision of repair services for electronic devices. Furthermore, it provides medical equipment; software development and supply; toll processing of semiconductors and display panels; connected car systems, general logistics agency, financing, marketing, consulting, AI technology research, and cloud services; enterprise automation solutions and connected services; and digital advertising platforms. Additionally, the company offers image sensing devices and mobile payment services; designs and develops software products; and develops and supplies semiconductor process defect and quality control software. The company serves finance, government, healthcare, education, hospitality, transportation, retail, legal, public safety, and manufacturing industries. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. also has strategic partnership with BlackBerry Limited.
Samsung Group Overview:
Samsung Group is a South Korean multinational conglomerate headquartered in Seoul. It comprises numerous affiliated businesses divisions such as Samsung Electronics, Samsung Engineering, Samsung C&T Corporation, Samsung Heavy Industries, Samsung SDS, Samsung Life Insurance, Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance, and Cheil Worldwide.
- Consumer Electronics
- IT & Mobile Communications
- Device Solutions
- Consumer Electronics – the company continuously focuses on development and expansion of strategic products in the consumer electronics division. The company is engaged in development of new technologies and innovative design in order to strengthen its leadership in the market.
- Visual Display
- Home Appliance
- Health & Medical Equipment
- IT & Mobile Communications – Technological innovation at Samsung Electronics accounts for its growth and stellar performance. The company’s annual sales of over 400 Million mobile devices worldwide, fueled by developments in smartphone technology. Rapid evolution and development of more advanced telecommunications components, devices and solutions continue to power the global expansion of 4G.
- Mobile Communications Business
- Networks Business
- Device Solutions – Through its device solution segment, the company is focused on development and introduction of more advanced technologies and devices to demonstrate superior offerings with and dramatic cost savings. The company is expanding into highly profitable differentiated products, mainly for mobile devices, and accelerating process conversion while also focusing on developing next-generation products.
- Memory Business
- System LSI Business
History 2011 – 2017
- In 2011, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. signed a patent-sharing license with IBM
- In 2012, the company took a ninth position among the global top 100 brands, with a brand value of US$ 32.9 Billion
- In 2012, the company announced the completion of the spin-off of its LCD business, establishing Samsung Display Co. as a separate entity under its umbrella. The newly-established subsidiary merges with Samsung Mobile Display, which is Samsung Electronics’ OLED arm, and the LCD business was sent to Samsung Mobile Display.
- In 2013, Galaxy S4 was launched in the global market
- In September 2014, Galaxy Note Edge – world’s first smartphone featured with curved edge screen, along with the Gear S, the first wearable device featuring 3G connectivity was launched
- In August 2014, The company acquired SmartThings, which is a US-based IoT (Internet of Things) platform developer company
- In March 2015, the company acquired YESCO, which is an US-based LED displays manufacturing company in order to develop signage business
- In March 2015, the company launched Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge – the world’s first smartphone with a curved display on both sides feature
- In June 2015, The company revealed the world’s first 105” UHD (Ultra-High Definition) TV
- In September 2015, the company launched a personal sleep monitoring device; SleepSense, which aids in improving sleep quality among users
- In December 2015, the company started bulk production of the industry’s first 12GB LPDDR4 mobile DRAM
- In January 2016, the company started mass production of the world’s fastest DRAM – based on the newest high bandwidth memory (HBM) interface
- In March 2016, the company launched Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge smartphones
- In June 2016, the company launched the world’s first Universal Flash Storage (UFS) removable memory card Line-up, that offers up to 256-Gigabyte (GB) capacity
- In September 2016, the company launched the Gear S2 – a stylish smartwatch with a versatile circular design and a rotating bezel
- In November 2016, The company announced a plan to acquire the Harman International Industries, Inc. an US-based company that designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises globally
- In April 2017, the company introduced QLED TVs and The Frame in the global market
- In June 2017, the company launched mobile payment service – Samsung Pay
- In June 2017, the company started bulk production facility at a new semiconductor plant located in Pyeongtaek, South Korea
- In August 2017, The company made available Bixby voice capabilities (a virtual assistant developed by Samsung Electronics) in more than 200 countries globally
- In November 2017, the company started mass production of its 2nd Generation 10nm FinFET Process Technology and strengthened advanced foundry portfolio with new 11nm LPP and 7nm LPP with EUV Technology
What’s news in 2019
- On 1 July 2019, the company launched Galaxy A80
- On 18 June 2019, the company announced plans to strengthen its Neural Processing Unit (NPU) capabilities to further extend the reach of its artificial intelligence (AI) solutions
- On 12 June 2019, the company launched the latest version of The Wall, and Samsung’s bespoke modular Micro LED screen can be custom-tailored to any size and aspect ratio, for enhancing the interior of living space
- On 12 June 2019, the company launched 240Hz G-Sync Compatible Curved Gaming Monitor CRG5, for immersive, fast-action gameplay
- On 3 June 2019, the company launched two new PC portfolios with the notebook 7 and notebook 7 force, which combines power, speed, and style into a refined design that promises elevated entertainment and personal productivity
- On 14 May 2019, the company announced that the new Apple TV app and AirPlay 2 are available on all 2019 Samsung Smart TVs and select 2018 models
- On 28 January 2019, the company acquired Corephotonics Ltd. in order to develop zoom technology in mobile cameras
- Samsung announced a plan to put AI in all of its devices and appliances by 2020
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. announced a plan to fully support the government’s national strategic plan to increase the country’s renewable energy use by 20% by 2030
- Samsung was primarily engaged in selling noodles and other products till 1970
- Samsung holds more patents than any other company worldwide, with 7,670 US patents
- The Burj Khalifa, located in Dubai, which is the tallest building in the world, was built by Samsung’s construction division
- Samsung believes in in-house production and it manufactures approximately 90% of its products in its own factories
- All Samsung products have got global standard environmental certification since 2013
- Samsung’s logo has changed three times
- The Samsung Group comprises 80 different businesses
- Samsung accounts for 17% of South Korea’s Gross Domestic Product
- The meaning of the Samsung logo in the Korean language is ‘three stars’