Walmart, Inc. is a US-based multinational retail corporation that operates chains of discount department stores, grocery stores, and hypermarkets. The compnay operates through three reportable segments namely; Walmart U.S., Walmart International, and Sam’s Club. Walmart offers a diversified range of merchandise and services at everyday low prices (EDLP).
Walmart U.S. Segment:
The Walmart U.S. segment is one of the largest segments among other segments of the company. Through its Walmart U.S. segment, the company operates retails stores in the US, including in all 50 states, Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico. Through this segment, the company offers assorted merchandise, including those products which are not available in its physical stores, and online services through its e-commerce web portals and mobile commerce applications. Moreover, the company’s e-commerce web portal consists of marketplace, which offers a feature of a website that enables third-parties to sell their products or merchandise through its website walmart.com. Integartion of digital retail with its physical stores through their services, including Online Grocery, Pickup Today, and Walmart Pickup. The Walmart U.S. segment also provides accessibility for digital contents and services such as InstaWatch and Vudu. Through this operating segment, the company does business in diversified merchandise divisions across multiple store formats such as discount stores, neighbouhood markets, supercenters, walmart.com, and small store formats. Through the Walmart U.S. segment, the company offers fuel and various financial service-related products and services, including prepaid cards, money transfers, money orders, bill payment, and check cashing.
Walmart International Segment:
The Walmart International segment consist of different formats, which are categorized into three types: wholesale, retail, and others. These categories include various formants such as hypermarkets, supermarkets, supercenters, and warehouse clubs, including Sam’s Clubs, speciality electronics, home improvement, cash and carry, drug stores, apparels store, convinince stores, and digital retail. This segment comprises various physical stores, which are operated by its subsidiaries operating in various developed and developing countries across the globe. Countries include Canada, Argentina, Japan, India, Chile, Mexico, Brazil, and the UK. Its subsidiaries operating in African countries (including in South Africa, Ghana, Botswana, Uganda, kenya, Nigeria, Mozambique, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zambia, Tanzania, Namibia, Swaziland, Malawi); Central America (Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Honduras); and its joint ventures and other subsidiaries in China.
Sam’s Club Segment:
Sam’s Club segment provides accessibility to its members’ assorted merchandise, which include those products that are not availabele in their respective clubs and services online at samsclub.com, and by its mobile commerce application. It also provides members the options of delivery to choose from such as direct-to-home or direct-to-the club through services such as Club Pickup. Through this segment, the company offers brand name merchandise such as some softgoods, hardgoods, and certain private-label brands. Private label brands include Member’s Mark that offers products in five merchandise categories: Grocery and consumables, fuel and other, home and apparel, technology, office and entertainment, and health and wellness. Grocery and consumables category includes dairy products, bakery products, frozen packaged foods, and food related products, alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages, and other grocery items and consumables such as laundry and home care, pet supplies, and health and beauty aids, and other related consumables. Fuel and other category includes gasoline stations, tools and power equipment, tire and battery centers, other related products. Home and apparel category includes outdoor living, home improvement, mattresses, housewares, jewelry, apparel, seasonal items and other related products. Technology, office and entertainment category includes video games, electronics, music, office supplies, office furniture, and other related products. Health and wellness category includes optical and hearing services, pharmacy, and over-the-counter drugs.
Finacial Overview of Walmart Inc. for 2019:
Walmart published its annual report on 23rd April, 2019, and filed Proxy Statement in preparation for the company’s Annual Shareholders’ Meeting to be held on 5th June, 2019. The overall revenue for the fiscal year ended January 2019 is US$ 514,405 Mn. Revenue of the company increased by 2.8% as compared to previous year. The company’s operating segments are Walmart U.S., Walmart International, and Sam’s Club, thus segmentwise revenue (On the basis of Net Sales) for the fiscal year ended 2019 is as follows: the Walmart U.S. segment accounted for US $ 3,31,666 Mn, the Walmart International segment accounted for US $ 1,20,824 Mn, and the Sam’s Club segement accounted for US $ 57,839 Mn.
What’s news in 2018-2019?
- In February 2018, the company has changed its legal name from Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. to Walmart Inc.
- The company announced its plan to increase intitial wage rate to US$ 11 for all US stores associates who work on an hourly basis, increase parental and maternity leave benefits and offer a one-time cash bonus for eligible associates. Approximately, more than 1 Mn associates may exepected to become beneficiaries of the combined wage and benefit changes.
- Judith McKenna is appointed as the president and CEO of Walmart International
- In August 2018, Walmart Inc. completed an agreement with Indian eCommerce Platform Flipkart Group in order to become the largest shareholder in the Flipkart Group.
- Walmart Inc., has annouced its plan to acquire ELOQUII which is a US-based private company that designs and sells fashion apparel in plus sizes ranging from 14-24. This acquisition is intended to strenthen the company’s online business
- In 2018, Walmart has announced its plan to aquire Art.com, which is a largest online retailerof art and wall décor items with approximately 2 million curated images, including a growing exclusive assortment. The two main strategies behind this aqusition were to strenthen company’s online business(com and Jet.com) and acquiring digital brands that offeres unique and differentiated products and shopping experience that cannot be found anywhere else.
- In October 2018, Walmart has annouced that it has completed the acquisition of Bare Necessities, which is a US-based leading intimates online retailer that offers more than 100,000 SKUs (Stock Keeping Units) from more than 160 brands, including an extensive assortment of women intimate wear products such as bras, swimwear, shapewear and sleepwear.
- In April 2018, the company opened its new Intelligent Retail Lab (abbreivated as IRL) inside the Walmart Neighborhood Market located in Levittown, New York which is approximately occupied area of 50,000-square foot. This new store has brought evolution in Walmart store by transforming the future retail concept; by integarting the Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology in various electronics. This integration includes artificial intelligence-enabled cameras, interactive displays, and a massive data center. Walmart’s tech incubator Store No 8 is deployed in this store
- In April 2019, walmart is intergarting new voice ordering capabilities across platforms with partners like Google. Thus, the company introduced: Walmart Voice Order; which is a service that can help customers that use Google Assistant to add or shop for items directly to their Walmart Grocery cart.
- Walmart earns an average profit of around US $1.8 Mn per hour
- Approximately 90% of all Americans are located within 15 miles of a Walmart
- Walmart serves more than 200 Mn consumers per week, through more than 10, 400 stores in 27 countries.
- Walmart has around 2.2 Mn employees globally, which is more than the population of Houston. Out of 2.2 Mn employees 1.4 Mn are employed only in United States
- Walmart is much bigger than re-known retail chains including Home Depot, Kroger, Target, Sears, Costco, and K-Mart collectively in terms of revenue
- The Walton family donated around 2% of its net worth, whereas Warren Buffet donates approximately 78 % of his net worth and Bill Gates donates around 48 % of his net worth
- Walmart parking lots total area is roughly similar to the size of Tampa, Florida.
- If Walmart’s total retail space (approximately more than 900 million square feet) is spread out over single place it would be roughly 34 square miles, which is nearby 1.5 times the size of Manhattan
- If Walmart’s more than 900 million square feet of retail space were spread out over one place it would take up roughly 34 square miles, which is about 1.5 times the size of Manhattan.
- The family of four person spends more than US $4,000 in one year at Walmart
- In 2010, the CEO of Walmart Mr. Michael Duke has earned an annual salary of $35 million which earned him more, which is more than a full-time employee earns in a whole year
- In 2014, Banana was the top selling food item of Walmart
- If Walmart supposed to be a country, it would be 28th largest economy in the world