Smith & Nephew Statistics: A leader in portfolio medical technology companies. Smith & Nephew PLC specializes in the design, marketing, manufacture, and sale of medical products. T.J. Smith was the founder of Smith & Nephew Plc. The Orthopedics Sports Medicine and ENT segments consist of the following businesses: knee implants, trauma, hip implants, other reconstruction, arthroscopic enabling technologies, sports medicine joint repair, and ENT. Advanced Wound Management is a segment that includes advanced wound bioactive, and advanced wound device companies. The company has approximately 17,500 employees. They are a part of the UK’s FTSE100, and their shares can be traded on the London Stock Exchange.
Smith & Nephew Products:
Orthopedic Reconstructive Products:
Anthem total knee system, Journey bi-cruciate stabilized knee system, Oxinium oxidized zirconium, Emperion modular hip system, Birmingham hip resurfacing system, Legion total knee system, Polar3 total hip solution, Polar cup dual mobility hip system, Polar stem cement less and cemented stem system, Redapt revision hip system, R3 acetabular system, and Anthology hip system
Trauma & Extremities Products:
Plating System, Intertrochanteric Antegrade Nail, Trochanteric Antegrade Nail, Single-Use Volar Distal Radius Plating System, Lesser Toe Repair System, Periarticular Locked Plating System, Ankle Fusion Plating System, Variable-Angle Locking Plate System, and Small Bone Plating System
Sports Medicine Products:
Anatomic ACL Guide System, Tenodesis System, Suture Anchor for Hip, Interference Screws, Tibial Fixation Device, Flexible Drill System, Meniscal Repair System, Suture Passer, All-Suture Anchor, Preloaded Suture Anchors with Needles, Adjustable Fixation Device, and Suture Anchors
NAVIO Surgical System
Advanced Wound Management Products:
Antimicrobial Barrier Silver Dressing, Advanced Foam Wound Dressings, Self-Adhesive Silicone Gel Sheets, Hydrogel Wound Dressings, Cadexomer Matrix with Iodine, Single Use Negative Pressure Wound Therapy, Conformable Adhesive Non-Woven Dressings, Multi-Layer Compression Bandage System, Transparent Film Dressings, Protective Dressing, Hydrosurgery System, Protease Modulating Ointment, and Multi-Layer and Two-Layer Compression Bandage Systems
Tonsils & Adenoids, Dissolvable Nasal Dressing, Middle Turbinate Implant, Sinus Wand, Removable Nasal Dressing, Articulating Instruments, Balloon Dilation System, Dissolvable Post-Op Nasal Dressing, Epistaxis, Septal Stapler, Turbinate Reduction Wands, and Airway Management
Smith & Nephew Culture Pillars:
- Smith & Nephew Plc are able to step in their customer’s shoes and anticipate their needs.
- They try to get the best out of their patients and accordingly design products with their needs in mind.
- Smith & Nephew Plc are passionate about what they do and strives to make a positive difference in the world.
- As a group, Smith & Nephew Plc can be stronger and accomplish more.
- Transparent and respectful communication is key to the company’s shared purpose. They also understand the impact that their individual contributions have on the collective goals.
- The company will achieve the best results when they encourage different perspectives and leverage their global experiences.
- In order to foster an entrepreneurial and can-do spirit, Smith & Nephew Plc seek out solutions and use its talent and force of will to achieve them.
- They are a team that is open to learning and has the potential and confidence of winning. The company emphasizes on doing it with integrity, the highest ethical standards, and a growth mindset.
Smith & Nephew Global Franchise Areas:
Orthopedics encompasses a variety of Hip and Knee Implants that are used to replace diseased or damaged joints. Robots-assisted technology enables surgeons to empower them. Trauma products are used to stabilize severe fractures.
Sports Medicine & ENT:
The Sports Medicine and Ear, Nose, and Throat business offer advanced products and tools for repairing and removing soft tissues. They work in emerging markets that have unmet medical needs, which provides opportunities for technological and procedural innovation.
Advanced Wound Management:
Advanced Wound Management is a portfolio that provides comprehensive products to meet complex clinical needs. It helps healthcare professionals reduce the human and financial consequences of wounds.
Smith & Nephew Statistics:
Smith & Nephew Plc Global Revenue
This statistic shows Smith & Nephew’s revenue from 2010 through 2021. The company’s revenues were 5,212 million U.S. dollars in 2021.
Smith & Nephew Plc Global Revenue by Market and Region
This statistic shows Smith & Nephew’s global revenue from 2014 through 2021 by regional market. In the United States, the company’s revenues in 2021 totaled 2,568 million dollars.
Smith & Nephew Plc Global Operating profit
This statistic shows Smith & Nephew’s operating profits from 2010 through 2021. The company’s total operating profits in 2021 were 593 million U.S. dollars.
Percentage of Global Distribution of Knee and Hip Implants by Company
This statistic shows the market share for global hip and knee implants in 2020 by the company. Smith & Nephew accounted for 11% of the global market share for hip and/or knee implants in 2020.
Smith & Nephew Percentage of Global Distribution of Sports Medicine by Company
This stat shows the market share of global sports medicine in 2020. It is broken down by the company. Smith & Nephew accounted for 26% of the worldwide market for sports medicine this year.
Percentage of Global Distribution of Advanced Wound Management by Company
This statistic shows the market share of the global advanced-wound management segment in 2020, sorted by the company. Smith & Nephew accounted for 14% of the global market with respect to the advanced-wound management segment.
Smith & Nephew Locations:
- Algeria, Botswana, Kenya, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Tunisia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Colombia, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Latin America, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
- Bangladesh, Brunei, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Pakistan, Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Austria, Belarus, Bulgaria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Moldova, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, Turkey, and UK & Ireland.
The Middle East:
- Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
At a glance:
- Smith & Nephew Plc is a medical technology company. They develop and manufacture technology that breaks down the boundaries of living. They also assist healthcare professionals in returning their patients to health.
- Smith & Nephew’s first employee and founder T.J. Smith, is still with them today. It’s their employees that make Smith & Nephew a special place.
- The company is passionate about innovation and developing exciting technologies. They offer competitive salaries and progressive benefits. It’s their culture of Care, Collaboration, and Courage that sets them apart in the industry.
- They all work together to win because each of them shares a common spirit of ownership and a can-do attitude.
- Smith & Nephew Plc are a group of people who care deeply about each other, their customers, their patients, as well as our communities.
- The company can all fulfill their common purpose, Life Unlimited.
It is not amortized but is checked for impairment each year. Goodwill is allocated the cash-generating units (CGUs) that are expected to be benefited from the acquisition. Every year, goodwill is tested for impairment by comparing recoverable amounts to the carrying values of the CGUs. Management determines the CGUs based on the aggregate product franchise levels for Orthopedics, Sports Medicine & ENT, Advanced Wound Management, and Advanced Wound Management. These are the core assets that are used to generate cash flows. An impairment loss is defined as a CGU that is less than its current carrying amount.
Any impairment losses that occur are recognized immediately in the income statements. First, they are used to reduce the carrying value of goodwill, and then to allocate the carrying amounts to other assets of CGU. When planning cash flow projections, there are many assumptions that must be made in order to perform impairment reviews on goodwill. These assumptions include future rates of market growth, market demand, discount rate, the future profitability of acquired businesses and products, as well as levels of reimbursement. In the event of actual results being different or expectations changing, impairment charges could be necessary to adversely affect operating results.
Enterprise R&D Operating Model
Smith & Nephew’s R&D model offers governance and simple processes to develop new products. This includes front-end innovation, new product development, launch, research, support, and maintenance of the product.
They invest in projects that make a significant difference for patients and customers, which includes incremental innovation to improve products and transform their business through disruptive technologies, business models, and services. R&D teams have a top priority in achieving greater efficiency, which supports our sustainability strategy.
The company uses strict criteria to ensure that the products can be technically feasible, meet unmet clinical requirements, and have a strong commercial rationale. The R&D professionals of Smith & Nephew in the US, China, Europe, and Singapore have extensive sector and customer knowledge.
R&D is closely integrated with the marketing, supply chain, regulatory affairs, quality, marketing, clinical, and quality teams. They ensure that the new products meet the deadlines, cost, and scope requirements. The company partners with its customers and are always open to hearing from healthcare professionals, to develop new product ideas.
Global R&D includes Smith & Nephew Clinical and Medical Affairs team (CMA). This ensures that plans are created from conception to support product launches using the evidence that is increasingly required by payers, regulators, and clinicians. All products go through clinical and economic evaluations during development as well as after launch.
- Smith & Nephew and Movemedical formed a partnership in January to streamline inventory management, improve customer experience, and increase customer satisfaction.
- Hall of Fame Health and the company formed a partnership in January to provide digital health solutions for former NFL players.
- Smith & Nephew introduced its FASTFIX FLEX meniscal repair system in July.
- Smith & Nephew introduced its Real Intelligence suite in India in July. It includes its next-generation robotics platform.
- Smith & Nephew’s August launch included the CADENCE Total Ankle Flat Cut Talar Dome System as well as ATLASplan Shoulder 3D planning and a patient-specific instruments (PSI) System.
- Smith & Nephew released the WEREWOLF 6.0 Hemostasis wand in August.
- CORI hand-held robotics was launched by the company in November.
- The company announced the creation of a dedicated digital surgery and robotics innovation hub in Munich, Germany, in November.
- The company announced in November its Medical Education Centre, which will support customers in the Asia Pacific region.
- The company bought Tusker Medical Inc., a California-based developer, and manufacturer of the Tula Systems, in January.
- MiJourney, which provides software to manage patient care, was acquired by the company in February.
- Fiagon, the company that distributes its ENT portfolio in the Asia Pacific region, signed a contract with the company in May.
- Fibroline signed a licensing agreement for S-Preg technology in February.
- Smith & Nephew and Tharsus formed a partnership to pilot the bump social-distancing platform in September.
- Smith & Nephew signed an agreement in September to buy Extremity Orthopaedics businesses from Integra LifeSciences. It cost US$240 million.
- Real Intelligence was launched by the company in September. Cori Surgical System is the next-generation handheld robotics platform.