Toshiba Corporation Company Profile
- Establishment Year
- Key Management
- Revenue (US$ Mn)
TOSHIBA Corp. is involved with the production and sales of electronic products. In July 1875, the company was founded in Tokyo, Japan. The company has the following segments: Retail and Printing Solutions Energy Systems Solutions and Infrastructure Systems Solutions. Storage and Device Solutions, Industrial ICT Solutions.
Retail and Printing Solutions offers multifunction machines and point-of-sale systems. The Energy Systems Solutions segment offers solar, hydroelectricity, and nuclear power generation. It also sells semiconductor production equipment. Infrastructure Systems Solutions include systems for water, sewerage, roads, broadcasting, radio, and elevators. It also includes environment control, lighting, and air conditioning.
Revenue (US$ Mn)
- The annual revenue generated by Toshiba Corporation in 2020 was US$ 32,543 Mn
- At a -6.44% decrease, Toshiba Corporation’s annual revenue of US$ 35,458 Mn was indexed in 2019
- Toshiba Corporation generated total revenue of US$ 37,897 Mn in 2018
Operating Income (US$ Mn)
- The operating income generated by Toshiba Corporation in 2020 was US$ 1,252 Mn
- At a -58.87% decrease, Toshiba Corporation’s operating income of US$ 340 Mn was indexed in 2019
- Toshiba Corporation generated an operating income of US$ 827 Mn in 2018
Net Income (US$ Mn)
- The net income generated by Toshiba Corporation in 2020 was US$ -1,101 Mn
- At a 26.03% increase, Toshiba Corporation’s net income of US$ 9,727 Mn was indexed in 2019
- Toshiba Corporation generated a net income of US$ 7,719 Mn in 2018
Operating Margin %
- The operating margin generated by Toshiba Corporation in 2020 was 4%
- At a -54.55% decrease, Toshiba Corporation’s operating margin of 1% was indexed in 2019
- Toshiba Corporation generated an operating margin of 2% in 2018
Gross Margin %
- Toshiba Corporation’s gross margin for 2020 was 27%, a 10.16% increase from 2019
- From 2018’s gross margins, Toshiba Corporation registered a 1.23% increase in 2019, amounting to 25%
- A gross margin of 24% was generated in 2018 by Toshiba Corporation
Strong research and development capabilities strengthen competitiveness
Toshiba is a strong company in research and development. Toshiba’s R&D activities are focused on the development of new products and improving the performance of existing products. It has a network that includes R&D centers in Europe, Japan, China, the USA, China, and India. In FY2020, Toshiba spent JPY158.946 million on R&D, accounting for 4.7% of the company’s total revenue.
R&D is conducted at the Corporate Research and Development Center and Digital Innovation Technology Center. The Corporate Software Engineering and Technology Center and the Corporate Manufacturing Engineering and Technology Center are also part of the company’s R&D.
Toshiba’s R&D is focused on a variety of areas such as information and communication platform and nanomaterials, intelligent systems, and electronic devices. Its main manufacturing technology is electronic packaging and assembly technology. The company announced in August 2020 that it would invest JPY34 trillion in a new R&D Center.
Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2022. The company’s strong R&D capabilities allow it to create innovative products that enable it to stay at the forefront in its respective businesses and distinguish itself in a highly competitive marketplace.
Get this premium content