Cipla Limited Company Profile
- Establishment Year
- Key Management
Mr. Umang Vohra (CEO)
- Revenue (US$ Mn)
~ 25,000 (2020)
Cipla Ltd. is involved in the production and distribution of bulk drugs and healthcare products. It is divided into two segments: Pharmaceuticals, and New Ventures. The Pharmaceuticals segment develops and manufactures generic or branded generic medicines, as well as active pharmaceutical ingredients.
The New Ventures segment comprises operations of two wholly-owned subsidiaries, Cipla Healthcare Ltd., a consumer health company, and Cipla BioTec Private Pvt. Ltd., which is in the business of Biosimilars. Khwaja Abdul Hamed founded the company in 1935. It is based in Mumbai, India.
Revenue (US$ Mn)
- Cipla Ltd.’s annual revenue for 2020 was US$ 2,422 Mn, a 2.8% increase from 2019
- The annual revenue generated by Cipla Ltd. in 2019 was US$ 2,356 Mn
- At a 7.86% increase from, Cipla Ltd.’s annual revenue of US$ 2,262 Mn was indexed in 2018
- Cipla Ltd. generated total revenue of US$ 2,097 Mn in 2017
Operating Income (US$ Mn)
- US$ 544 Mn was the operating income generated by Cipla Ltd. in 2020
- Cipla Ltd.’s operating income for 2019 was US$ 296 Mn, a 3.86% increase from 2018
- From 2017’s operating incomes, Cipla Ltd. registered a 7.95% increase in 2018, amounting to US$ 285 Mn
- An operating income of US$ 264 Mn was generated in 2017 by Cipla Ltd.
Operating Margin %
- Cipla Ltd.’s operating margin for 2020 was 22%, a 69.23% increase from 2019
- The operating margin generated by Cipla Ltd. in 2019 was 13%
- At a 0% decrease from, Cipla Ltd.’s operating margin of 13% was indexed in 2018
- Cipla Ltd. generated an operating margin of 13% in 2017
Net Income (US$ Mn)
- US$ 304 Mn was the net income generated by Cipla Ltd. in 2020
- Cipla Ltd.’s net income for 2019 was US$ 217 Mn, a 1.22% increase from 2018
- From 2017’s net incomes, Cipla Ltd. registered an 8.3% increase in 2018, amounting to US$ 214 Mn
- A net income of US$ 198 Mn was generated in 2017 by Cipla Ltd.
Focus on innovation
Cipla is well-known for its innovative capabilities. Cipla’s focus on innovation and manufacturing gives it a competitive edge. Cipla’s innovation emphasis is on the creation of innovative and complex products. Over 1300 scientists work for Cipla. They develop new products, improve existing products and expand product applications. R&D partners work with the company to file US drug masters and abbreviated drug applications. They also seek authorizations in the EU. The company includes six R&D units.
The company holds 288 patents and 259 ANDAs. Three state-of-the-art research centers in India are available to Cipla for API process development. It also has dedicated polypeptide and cancer labs. In FY2020, the company spent INR11.750 million on research activities. In FY2020, the company filed 13 patents and launched 52 new products. Six clinical trials were also approved.
Get this premium content