Becton, Dickinson and Company Profile
Becton, Dickinson and Company
Pharmaceutical and Healthcare
- Establishment Year
- Key Management
Mr. Thomas E Polen MBA (CEO)
- Revenue (US$ Mn)
~ 75,000 (2021)
Becton, Dickinson & Co. is a medical technology Co. The company was founded in the year 1897 and is headquartered in Franklin Lakes, NJ. The firm is associated with the development, and sale of medical supplies of devices, and laboratory equipment used by healthcare institutions, the pharmaceutical industry, clinical laboratory physicians, life science researchers, and the general public and manufacturers. It operates in the following segments: BD Life Sciences, BD Medical, and BD Interventional.
The BD Life Sciences segment offers products for the safe collection, instruments, and reagent systems as well as transportation of diagnostics specimens, to determine infectious diseases, healthcare-associated infections, and cancers. The BD Medical segment offers devices and medical technologies that are used to help improve healthcare delivery The BD Interventional segment provides oncology, vascular, urology, and surgical specialty products to hospitals, individual healthcare, care facilities, alternate site facilities, and patients through its Homecare business.
Focused research and development efforts, pioneering innovation in injection, and global footprint are the company’s major strengths, whereas declining profitability remains an area of concern. Growing opportunities in the IVD market, growing oncology market, and business expansions could provide growth opportunities to the company. However, intense competition, healthcare reform in the US, and stringent regulations could affect its business operations
Revenue (US$ Mn)
- US$ 20,248 Mn was the annual revenue generated by Becton, Dickinson, and Company in 2021
- Becton, Dickinson and Company’s annual revenue for 2020 was US$ 17,117 Mn, a -1% decrease from 2019
- From 2018’s annual revenues, Becton, Dickinson, and Company registered an 8.18% increase in 2019, amounting to US$ 17,290 Mn
- Total revenue of US$ 15,983 Mn was generated in 2018 by Becton, Dickinson, and Company
Operating Income (US$ Mn)
- Becton, Dickinson and Company’s operating income for 2021 was US$ 2,982 Mn, a 65.67% increase from 2020
- The operating income generated by Becton, Dickinson, and Company in 2020 was US$ 1,800 Mn
- At a 16.63% increase from , Becton, Dickinson and Company’s operating income of US$ 1,760 Mn was indexed in 2019
- Becton, Dickinson, and Company generated an operating income of US$ 1,509 Mn in 2018
Net Income (US$ Mn)
- US$ 2,092 Mn was the net income generated by Becton, Dickinson, and Company in 2021
- Becton, Dickinson and Company’s net income for 2020 was US$ 874 Mn, a -19.22% decrease from 2019
- From 2018’s net incomes, Becton, Dickinson, and Company registered a 247.91% increase in 2019, amounting to US$ 1,082 Mn
- A net income of US$ 311 Mn was generated in 2018 by Becton, Dickinson, and Company
Focused Research and Development Efforts
BD’s research and development (R&D) activities are focused on enhancing the reliability and performance of its existing products, along with developing new ones. It is essential to develop new products, systems, and services based on advanced innovative technologies to compete effectively in the marketplace. BD harnesses its strong R&D capabilities to retain its leading position in the medical devices industry with a strong focus on product development.
Its R&D activities are conducted at its operating units and at BD Technologies in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. BD Technologies is the company’s innovation center, which aims to become a technology leader in specialized fields of research. BD also collaborates with several universities and medical centers to augment its R&D efforts. BD invested US$1,006 million in its R&D activities in FY2018 which stood at 6.3% of the company’s revenue.
Get this premium content