Albemarle Corporation Company Profile
Albemarle CorporationR.P.M. Tech)
- Establishment Year
- Key Management
Mr. Kent Masters (Chairman, President & CEO)
- Revenue (US$ Mn)
Albemarle Corporation is involved in the development, manufacturing, marketing, and servicing of chemicals for consumer electronics and petroleum refining. The company’s three main segments are Lithium, Bromine, and Catalysts. The Lithium section is involved in the development and manufacture of basic lithium compounds such as lithium carbonate, Lithium hydroxide, and lithium chloride.
It also offers value-added specialties and reagents. Bromine Specialties is a segment that includes bromine and bromine-based business. These products are used in specialty chemicals and fire safety. The Catalysts section includes two product lines. Clean fuels technologies consist primarily of hydro-processing catalytic cracking catalysts. Heavy oil upgrading consists of fluidized catalysts and other additives. The company was founded in 1994 and is located in Charlotte, NC.
Revenue (US$ Mn):
- Albemarle Corporation’s annual revenue for 2021 was US$ 3,328 Mn, a 6.36% increase from 2020
- The annual revenue generated by Albemarle Corporation in 2020 was US$ 3,129 Mn
- At a 6.36% increase, Albemarle Corporation’s annual revenue of US$ 3,589 Mn was indexed in 2019
- Albemarle Corporation generated total revenue of US$ 3,375 Mn in 2018
Operating Income(US$ Mn):
- US$ 798 Mn was Albemarle Corporation’s operating income in 2021, a 57.85% increase from 2020 figures
- Albemarle Corporation indexed a -24.05% decrease in operating incomes from 2019, amounting to US$ 506 Mn in 2020
- Albemarle Corporation generated an operating income of US$ 666 Mn in 2019
- An operating income of US$ 912 Mn was indexed by Albemarle Corporation in 2018
Net Income(US$ Mn):
- US$ 124 Mn was the net income generated by Albemarle Corporation in 2021
- Albemarle Corporation’s net income for 2020 was US$ 376 Mn, a -29.52% decrease from 2019
- From 2018’s net incomes, Albemarle Corporation registered a -23.13% decrease in 2019, amounting to US$ 533 Mn
- A net income of US$ 694 Mn was generated in 2018 by Albemarle Corporation
Operating Margin % :
- Albemarle Corporation’s operating margin for 2021 was 24%, a 47.53% increase from 2020
- The operating margin generated by Albemarle Corporation in 2020 was 16%
- At a -31.11% decrease, Albemarle Corporation’s operating margin of 19% was indexed in 2019
- Albemarle Corporation generated an operating margin of 27% in 2018
Gross Margin % :
- 4% was Albemarle Corporation’s gross margin in 2021, a -69.17% decrease from 2020 figures
- Albemarle Corporation indexed a -18.92% decrease in gross margins from 2019, amounting to 12% in 2020
- Albemarle Corporation generated a gross margin of 15% in 2019
- A gross margin of 21% was indexed by Albemarle Corporation in 2018
Strong market position and strong end-market base
Albemarle is a global leader in the development, manufacturing, and marketing of specialty chemicals. These chemicals are engineered to meet customers’ needs across diverse end markets. The company served more than 2,400 customers in 75 countries as of December 31, 2019. Its wide-ranging services include petroleum refining and energy storage, construction, lubricants automotive, pharmaceuticals crop protection, custom chemistry services, and automotive.
Albemarle sells its products mainly to chemical processors such as oil service companies and chemical synthesis companies. Albemarle’s strong customer base and global manufacturing base, as well as its low-cost global manufacturing base, will allow it to continue leading the market in specialty chemicals industries in which it operates.
Its product portfolio is enhanced by research and development activities
Albemarle places a strong emphasis on its research-and-development (R&D), activities that bring new products and technologies to the market. Its R&D is focused on process and product enhancements, as well as specialized customer service. Through the development of new products and technologies, the company’s R&D goal is to create innovative technologies and chemistries that are relevant to targeted markets.
Albemarle’s R&D is focused on increasing margins through the introduction of innovative green chemistry technologies, value-added products, and proprietary. Its green chemistry is focused on developing products that use raw materials and energy efficiency and minimize waste. It avoids toxic solvents and reagents and uses safe, environmentally-friendly manufacturing processes. Albemarle has R&D centers in the USA, Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands.
The company’s research-and-development expenses for FY2019 were US$58.2 Million. Albemarle had nearly 2,100 patents in force and nearly 550 patent applications pending in key strategic markets worldwide as of December 31, 2019. Research and development will give Albemarle an edge over its competitors by providing innovative products for the market. It will also provide financial benefits for its business.
Get this premium content