Google LLC was founded by Mr. Sergey Brin and Mr. Larry Page in 1998 and was a privately held company. Later on 19 August 2004, an initial public offering (IPO) was held in which the first sale of stock was issued by a company to the public and registered on the stock market. The company went public at US$ 85 per share and offered nearly 19,606,052 shares. These shares were mainly sold through the format of an online auction by using a system developed by Morgan Stanley & Credit Suisse. Sale of US$ 1.67 Billion offered Google LLC a capitalization of over US$ 23 Billion, which increased to US$ 397 Billion by January 2014.
This IPO event proved to be beneficial to many Google Employees as a majority of shares of approximately 271 Million were under the control of the company, and several employees of Google LLC became paper millionaires, instantly. Moreover – Yahoo! – a web service provider and a competitor of Google LLC benefitted as it owned Google LLC company’s 8.4 Mn shares prior to the IPO event held.
In 2015, American multinational company Alphabet, Inc. was formed as the parent company of Google LLC, and other companies which were previously owned by Google LLC. In addition, Google LLC was reorganized as a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc. on October 2, 2015. Alphabet’s portfolio incorporates several industries, including life sciences, technology, investment capital, and research. Some of its subsidiaries include GV, CapitalG, Google, Google Fiber, Verily Chronicle, Waymo, Loon Calico, and X. Alphabet, Inc. is known as a collection of various companies, out of which the largest business segment is Google LLC in terms of revenue.
Google LLC is a leading US-based multinational Internet company, which offers digital products and services including software, hardware components, cloud computing, advertising technologies, and online search. In June 2018, Google LLC was ranked first amongst the most visited multi-platform web in the US with nearly 247 Mn of visitors in the same year. In 2017, parent company – Alphabet Inc. – registered revenue of US$ 110,855 Mn.
Most Visited Platform
|1||Amazon||E-commerce||Seattle, WA, US|
|2||Search||Mountain View, California, US|
|3||Social||Menlo Park, CA, US|
|4||Tencent||Social||Shenzhen, Guangdong, China|
|5||Alibaba||E-commerce||Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China|
|7||Princeline Group||Travel||Norwalk, CT, US|
|8||eBay||E-commerce||San Jose, CA, US|
|9||Netflix||Entertainment||Los Gatos, CA, US|
|10||Expedia Inc.||Travel||Believue, Washington, US|
|12||Salesforce.com||Cloud Computing||San Francisco, CA, US|
|13||Yahoo||Search Engine||Sunnyvala, CA, US|
|15||NetEase||Online Service||Guangzhou, Guangdong, China|
|17||Groupon||E-commerce||Chicago, Illinois, US|
|18||Social||Mountain View, California, US|
|19||Social||San Francisco, CA, US|
|20||Naver Corporation||Search Engine||Seoul, South Korea|
Google LLC owns over 200 companies, which involve robotics, mapping, video broadcasting, telecommunications, and advertising. The top four companies owned by Google are Google Maps, AdSense, DoubleClick, and YouTube.
Google LLC – List of Some Mergers and Acquisitions
|Aquisation Date||Google Company||Business||Country||Used as or Integrated with|
|December 10, 2018||Sigmoid Labs||Indian Railway Train Tracking||INR||–|
|November 28, 2018||Workbench||Education Technology Firm||US||Android|
|October 2, 2018||Onward||Machine Laerning & Natural Language Processing||US||–|
|September 19, 2018||Senosis||Health Monitoring||US||Nest Labs|
|August 6, 2018||GraphicsFuzz||GPU Reliabity||US||Android|
|May 9, 2018||Velostrata||Cloud Migration, Google Cloud Platform||ISR||Google Cloud Platform|
|March 27, 2018||Tenor||GIF Image Search||US||Google Image|
|October 11, 2017||60db||Podcasts||US||Google Play Music, Google Podcasts|
|October 9, 2017||Relay Media||AMP Converter||US||Accelerated Mobile Pages|
|September 26, 2017||Bitium||Single Sign-on & Identity Mangement||US||Google Cloud Platform|
|September 21, 2017||HTC (portion)||Talent & Inntellectual Property Licenses||TWN||Google Pixel|
|August 16, 2017||AIMatter||Computer Vision||BLR||YouTube|
|July 12, 2017||Halli Labs||Artificial Intellegence||IND||–|
|May 10, 2017||Owlchemy Labs||Virtual reality Studio||US||Google Classroom|
|May 14, 2017||Cask||Big data, Hadoop||UK||Google Cloud Platform|
|March 9, 2017||AppBridge||Productivity Suite||US||Google VR|
|March 8, 2017||Kaggle||Data Science||US||Google Cloud Platform|
|January 19, 2017||Fabric||Mobile App Platform||US||Firebase|
|January 5, 2017||Limes Audio||Voice Communication||SWE||Google Due & Google Hangouts|
The Parent company, Alphabet, Inc., operates through two key business segments namely: Google and Other Bets. Through its Google business segment, the company offers the main products such as Android, Chrome, Ads, Google Cloud, Google Maps, Commerce, Hardware, Search, Google Play, and YouTube. Through its Other Bets – the company offers a mixture of several operating segments and businesses such as Access, CapitalG, Calico, Verily, Waymo, GV, Nest, and X. In addition, revenues from the other bets are primarily generated through the sales of Nest products and services, sales of Internet and TV services via Fiber, and licensing and R&D services via Verily.
The majority of the company’s revenue is contributed by the advertising segment that includes incomes from traffic generated by search distribution partners who use Google.com as their default search in toolbars, browsers, etc. In 2017, Google Sites advertising revenue accounted for US$ 95,375 Million. Google LLC offers a wide range of Web-based products, Development tools, Operating systems, Desktop applications, Mobile applications, Hardware, and Services. In addition, Google owns and offers products such as Google Play, Google Maps, Gmail, and YouTube, which are among the leading social networking sites. Moreover, subsidiaries of the company include Google, Calico, Chronicle, GV, CapitalG, Verily, Waymo, X, Loon and Google Fiber.
The company operates in four regions namely: United States, Europe, and the Middle East & Africa, Asia Pacific, and Other Americas. In 2017, the US segment accounted for the highest revenue share of US$ 52,449 Mn, followed by Europe and the Middle East & Africa, Asia Pacific, and Other Americas.
Google LLC offers a wide range of products and services for various applications:
- Watch, Listen and Play – YouTube, Google Play Music, Chromecast, Google Play Movies, and TV
- Browser – Chrome
- Search – Search, Finance, Flights, News, Scholar, Patents, Books, Images, Videos, Hotels
- Navigation – Maps, Waze
- Productivity tools – Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms
- Social & communications – Gmail, Allo, Hangouts, Duo, Google+, Translate
- Storage and organization – Photos, Contacts, Calendar, Keep
- Personal Assistant – Google voice assistant
- Services – Fiber, DNS, Project Fi, Google pay
What’s new in 2018?
- On January 2018, Alphabet, Inc. acquired Redux – smartphone technology, which is specialized in turning smartphone screens into speakers.
- In October 2018, Google LLC to shut down Google+ after failing to disclose user data leak
- In November 2018, Google LLC acquired Workbench, which is a US-based company, that offers an online library of projects and lessons.
- Under this acquisition, the company focuses on integrating the Workbench tool with Google Classroom. In addition, currently, Google Classroom is one of the most widely used online educational tools, which lets parents, teachers, and students manage class discussions, assignments, and quizzes.
Upcoming Launches in 2019
- Google Duo – new video calling app was launched along with its partnered app Google Allo – an instant messaging mobile app in 2016. On 25 January 2019, the company announced that it may launch a web client for its Duo video chat service.
- On 14 January 2019, SOTI Inc., which is a Canada-based provider of mobile and IoT device management solutions, partnered with Google LLC, in order to remotely supports and manages Android devices via the entire lifecycle through its SOTI Android+ technology.
- Google.com domain went online in the year 1997
- Google founders originally named it as ‘Backrub’
- Since 2010, Google has been acquiring on an average of 1 company approximately every week
- Google search handles over 3.5 Bn searches per day that is 1.2 Trillion searches per year
- Daily visitors to Google is approximately 620 Mn
- Google owns its own common misspellings domains such as www.gooogle.com, www.googlr.com, and www.gogle.com
- Google runs over 1 Mn computer servers in data centers around the world
- The name ‘Google’ is derived from the mathematical term ‘googol’ – basically one with a hundred zeros following it
- In a minute on the Internet in 2019, there are 3.8 million requests
- 2018 top searches on Google include
- International Football World Cup
- Mr. Tim Bergling – Swedish DJ and producer died at the age of 28
- Mr. Mac Miller – the rapper died due to the overdose of drugs and alcohol at age of 26
- Top searches which provide funny suggestions on google include
- “who would win in a fight between…”
- “I think I might be a…”
- “why are the…”
- 88 languages can be used in Google home page
- Presently about 80,110 employees are working for Google, and the new employees are called ‘Nooglers’